Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   2005 5.7 Hemi Jumpy Transmission While Accelerating (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/2005-5-7-hemi-jumpy-transmission-while-accelerating-66934.html)

Crashtown 10-20-2013 11:46 PM

2005 5.7 Hemi Jumpy Transmission While Accelerating

Not sure how to diagnose this. At least once a day, while moderate or heavy acceleration, it feels like the transmission will jump in/out gear momentarily, sometimes 2-4 times in row. I'll lay off the throttle or give it more & it will go away, most of the time. It doesn't feel engine related to me, but not ruling it out. No CEL or any EVIC notices, just an anti-climatic feeling when I mash on the skinny pedal & my WK spazzes out in traffic. Any takers?

Combat 10-21-2013 10:35 PM

Re: 2005 5.7 Hemi Jumpy Transmission While Accelerating

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashtown (Post 914264)
Not sure how to diagnose this. At least once a day, while moderate or heavy acceleration, it feels like the transmission will jump in/out gear momentarily, sometimes 2-4 times in row. I'll lay off the throttle or give it more & it will go away, most of the time. It doesn't feel engine related to me, but not ruling it out. No CEL or any EVIC notices, just an anti-climatic feeling when I mash on the skinny pedal & my WK spazzes out in traffic. Any takers?

Throwing any codes?

Have you had a recent trans service lately? if so, is it possible they under filled or overfilled? You will be surprised how much an Overfilled or under filled Automatic transmission can affect the 545rfe.

Also, have you checked your Vss sensors? Cheap and easy replacement on our transmissions. Potentially bad Vss sensors can cause a number of issues too.

But just don't throw money at it, check for codes. You wouldn't want it to be something potentially bad that could have been an easy fix and end up buying a whole new trans like me.

Frango100 10-22-2013 06:12 PM

Vss sensors on a 5-45RFE:confused:. Is a Vss not a vehicle speed sensor?
Did you mean the input and output speed sensors maybe?
With jumpy transmission do you mean that it seems to be slipping? Does the engine rpm rev higher then it used to?
Checking the fluid level and quality would indeed be the first step to be taken.

Crashtown 10-24-2013 07:08 PM

Nope, no codes. Trans fluid level was the first thing I checked. Did my own service 2 years/20K ago. everything looked good. By jumpy, I mean that it feels like its trying to shift to an upper gear when I want it to stay in the same gear so I can dust some traffic. It seems to happen around the 3,000RPM range 2nd gear. It's only for a split second. My dad thought it was the engine cutting out. Feels like it jumps up to 3rd or even 4th, then back down to 2nd. Sometimes it's once, sometimes 2-4 times before straitening out & allowing me to accelerate. I haven't paid attention to see what the RPMs are doing when it happens. It just surprises me & does it at random.

Combat 10-25-2013 12:52 AM

How many miles? Could it be MDS kickin in and out?

EtherealPonx 10-25-2013 03:35 AM

Hey there, I had a similar 'concern' , noticed a strange shift in and out of 3rd going up in gears. This was from brand new and thought at first it was the gearbox design. After months of not feeling this is normal I took it to the dealer who initially claimed this is down to driving conditions! However, what I noticed was a very slight change in rpm when changing into third, which led me to believe it was changing up in gears (too late). The dealer finally accepted my claim. They said they flashed the TCM and it should now be 'ok'. I feel the shift points to be slightly better. The jumpy feeling you describes sounds similar as the shift point felt forced and not a very smooth transmission. This issue might not be relevant but worth checking, try to measure the rpm changes when shifting to third from second and note down the difference.

Crashtown 10-30-2013 11:30 PM

I'm close to 105K. It feels more "violent" than the MDS twitching. Trying to avoid the dealer on anything. I have only experienced it a couple times over the last two weeks. I'll keep checking in.

Madanio24 10-31-2013 05:22 PM

I have the same problem but never under heavy acceleration

Crashtown 12-03-2013 07:12 PM

Sooooo... I stalled out in traffic, while decelerating to make a right turn. I coasted out of the way to a complete stop. Shifted into park, got restarted, & my CEL popped up. Retrieved a P0335 diagnostic code, which is a crankshaft positioning sensor. Picked one up @ Auto Zone, over half the price of the dealer, changed out in 5 minutes. It seems to have solved my janky acceleration issues.

Madanio24 12-04-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashtown (Post 939885)
Sooooo... I stalled out in traffic, while decelerating to make a right turn. I coasted out of the way to a complete stop. Shifted into park, got restarted, & my CEL popped up. Retrieved a P0335 diagnostic code, which is a crankshaft positioning sensor. Picked one up @ Auto Zone, over half the price of the dealer, changed out in 5 minutes. It seems to have solved my janky acceleration issues.

Glad you could resolve your problem. Mine is still happening! For years.

Strongjeff 12-06-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madanio24 (Post 940458)
Glad you could resolve your problem. Mine is still happening! For years.

mine don't do that, and you have the same issue as the 5-54? we both have the W5A580/NAG1. does yours have the dipstick, all I have is a sealed tube..

Madanio24 12-07-2013 11:51 PM

I have the dipstick.