Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2011 Jeep GC to Launch in 3 Months? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2011-jeep-gc-to-launch-in-3-months-6697.html)

Lingohocken 02-19-2010 11:07 AM

2011 Jeep GC to Launch in 3 Months?

According to today's Detroit News, in an article concerning Chrysler Group design chief Ralph Gilles, the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is due to launch "in three months."

On the other hand, the forthcoming GC wasn't at the current Chicago Auto Show because, as a Chrysler spokesman put it, their policy is not to show models that won't be out in the next three months.

Go figure.:confused:

Scottina06 02-19-2010 12:30 PM

Re: 2011 Jeep GC to Launch in 3 Months?

yeah...I believe sometime in April

Lingohocken 02-19-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 154148)
yeah...I believe sometime in April

Let's hope so! At a bare-bones minimum, the GC is expected to be shown at the New York Auto Show in April.

B.P.O.D 02-19-2010 12:55 PM

yup!!! there are a few of us prob going there together

hound 02-20-2010 04:41 AM

They will hit dealers lots sometime in late June/Early July I believe.

Milous 02-20-2010 06:36 AM

The production start date (May 10th) was first revealed here on JG a couple months back. That date is still on schedule. June is the sales launch date, dealers will have them by then. Dealer order banks are set to open March 8th. The current 2010 WK will end production on March 12th. WH export models will be built through April 30th.

The new WK was scheduled to appear in both Detroit and Chicago but pulled at the last minute as Sergio wanted to enforce his policy of not revealing new vehicles until a few months before launch (the early WK debut in April '09 was planned "pre-Sergio"). The new WK will be well represented at the NY auto show in April, you can bet the farm on it.

Lingohocken 02-20-2010 03:33 PM

Milous, Thanks -- very helpful. Do you know if it will it use the MB gearbox and other drivetrain hardware MB was supposed to supply to Chrysler, and which is the subject of the famous $60 million lawsuit? There have been unconfirmed reports that a Chrysler transmission will be used instead, and other formerly planned MB parts will be supplied by independent suppliers, taking MB completely out of the picture.

LJS8510 02-21-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 154535)
The production start date (May 10th) was first revealed here on JG a couple months back. That date is still on schedule. June is the sales launch date, dealers will have them by then. Dealer order banks are set to open March 8th. The current 2010 WK will end production on March 12th. WH export models will be built through April 30th.

The new WK was scheduled to appear in both Detroit and Chicago but pulled at the last minute as Sergio wanted to enforce his policy of not revealing new vehicles until a few months before launch (the early WK debut in April '09 was planned "pre-Sergio"). The new WK will be well represented at the NY auto show in April, you can bet the farm on it.

I am happy to hear that all is on schedule.
Sad to hear that Sergio is not smart enough to figure out that when a vehicle has been hyped as much as it has it is expected to be seen at auto shows. regardless if it was pre Sergio. I thought the idea is to attract customers. Some of us went to the show expecting to see it.
On one hand I hope this lack of insight is what happened but on the other hand is scares me that this is an indication of the future.
Or maybe I'm just going on a rant because I'm still angry that I delayed a trip for few days just so I could see the new Grand Cherokee in person at the Chicago auto show.

Scottina06 02-21-2010 06:55 PM

I dont blame you LJS...I would be pissed too!

fastnet 02-23-2010 03:07 PM

"The Grand Cherokee is due for launch in September 2010 (delayed from July 2010)"

--> http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/2011-cherokee.html

Lingohocken 02-24-2010 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastnet (Post 156946)
"The Grand Cherokee is due for launch in September 2010 (delayed from July 2010)"

--> http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/2011-cherokee.html

Old news. The hope is that there are fresher credible reports, and prior posts on this thread suggest that the June launch may yet be achieved. The fact that the vehicle is to be at the NY show in April (it's listed at the NY show's website) tends to confirm the June date, too.

Still, it would be helpful if it could be explained how this model can come to market if essential component supply, including the transmission, is tied up in ongoing litigation with Daimler Benz, the planned supplier. If Chrysler/Fiat has decided to go, instead, with independent suppliers for most components and substitute a Chrysler transmission, this presumably would delay the launch to allow for retooling, production replanning and prototype testing.

Milous 02-24-2010 03:00 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May 10, 2010 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!