Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Software updates, radio, trans (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/software-updates-radio-trans-66984.html)

Stevm65 10-22-2013 07:02 AM

Software updates, radio, trans

My 2014 GC ha been doing just fine.The only gripe that i have is the clock loses a few minutes a week and it occasionally downshift a little cluncky fron 2nd to 1st. When I look at the problems some people are having, I count my blessings because these are really minor. Jeep customer service says there are 3 software updates available to address these issues. I'm probably giving away my age here, but should I do the updates or leave well enough alone. Is there any chance that the service will make things worse? It ain't really broke, should I try to fix it? I'm pretty experienced in the auto industry, but most of my time was with cars that were not rolling computers. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

jacko15 10-22-2013 11:26 AM

Re: Software updates, radio, trans

I'm floating in the same boat as you. I've been following the threads concerning the different updates, and trying to decide about the tranny update. I'm happy with the way mine shifts, and post update it will probably have to go through a new learning curve, so I'm not sure if I want it. The Uconnect update, I did it myself, was worth it. It should solve your clock problem. The hvac looks to be a no-brainer. It will fix the remote start climate control glitch. I haven't had the dash "christmas tree" problem, so I'm not sure I want, or need, that one. The QL "stuck in raising" has happened to me a few times, not sure about that one either. New vehicle design, so Chrysler is trying to please everyone with a problem with updates, but like you said, "if it ain't broke".

mswlogo 10-22-2013 11:28 AM

I'd get them done. I can't speak for other trims, but I have everything done on my limited and it's running like a champ.

You might have few glitches after updates. Lost Radio Presets, Oil Service Triggered etc. Nothing serious. The updates were all an improvement for me.

bill_de 10-22-2013 11:37 AM

If you go to a dealer, be sure to specify which updates you don't want applied. If Jeep has it classified a "Rapid Response" the techs just do it and then show it on the invoice. An example, updating my radio from 13.32 to 13.19. Ooops.

The tech apologized and didn't make any excuses, just said he made a mistake. That's the kind of person I want working on my car. Everybody makes mistakes, but to many make excuses.

Anyway, this could have been avoided if the policy was to notify the customer if doing anything the customer didn't ask for.

It's not just Jeep, or even the auto industry. Both Nikon and Canon would/will update firmware when you bring in a camera for service or cleaning. They may not even note it.

---

Specx 10-22-2013 11:48 AM

Glad he caught his mistake, but why would an upgrade go down in the number sequence?

bill_de 10-22-2013 11:54 AM

He didn't catch it, I did. I noticed the blue halo was missing around the "3G".

When you put the usb card in the screen shows the current version and the version on the stick. As many of us do, he proceeded without paying close attention. He saw two different numbers and assumed the higher one would be the one on his USB drive. The system, if you say yes, will overwrite the one on the radio with the one on the stick.

The way it works is actually good. If you have a problem with an update, it is easy to go back.

---