Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f163/)
-   -   Rear hitch cover gone (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f163/rear-hitch-cover-gone-67003.html)

BigCity 10-22-2013 04:54 PM

Rear hitch cover gone

So has anyone had any issues with their rear hitch cover, went out the other day and noticed it was gone. Don't know if it fell off or if someone stole it, never took it off or saw how it attached.

bill_de 10-22-2013 05:06 PM

Re: Rear hitch cover gone

I didn't steal it, I borrowed it. I wanted my Overland to look like a Summit. :)

---

lstowell 10-22-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCity (Post 915380)
So has anyone had any issues with their rear hitch cover, went out the other day and noticed it was gone. Don't know if it fell off or if someone stole it, never took it off or saw how it attached.

J C Whitney has better looking ones, that have pin holes so you can use the hitch pin to secure them, and use a locking hitch pin.

Haven't seen any reports of kiddies stealing them like they did the logo on the old Audi Fox. YMMV.

bill_de 10-22-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 915395)
J C Whitney has better looking ones, that have pin holes so you can use the hitch pin to secure them, and use a locking hitch pin.

Haven't seen any reports of kiddies stealing them like they did the logo on the old Audi Fox. YMMV.

OP didn't specify, but I thought he meant the cover that the Summit has to cover the entire hitch.

If it's just the plug that fills the hole in the receiver, there are lots of better choices than the OEM.

---

BigCity 10-22-2013 05:39 PM

It was the hitch bezel cover that blended with the rear bumper, similar to what is shown below but had SRT recessed in it. Sux b/c it's $150 to replace if I can find the part number again.

2012 Jeep SRT8 Rear Hitch Bezel Cover - Mopar # 68158190AA

boss.man 10-24-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCity (Post 915380)

the cover slides into place, and then has two spring loaded bolts to make it stay there, it was definitely stolen

BigCity 10-24-2013 08:08 AM

Man that sucks to hear, now I'll be worried about someone jacking it if I buy another one. Was hoping that it just fell off instead of having to worry where it might have been taken at. Funny thing is it's garage kept at home and sits right outside my office window at work so that doesn't leave much opportunity to get it.

eibyer 10-24-2013 10:30 AM

Wow that is one pricey cover!

A-kon 10-27-2013 12:03 PM

I took mine off while be custom exhaust was being installed. Now I can't get it back on right. There are 4 plastic "hook-thingies" that go into precut openings and then the 2 spring loaded knobs. The two outer hooks slide right in but the middle hooks only go half way so I can't get it back on flush. I took it to 2 different dealers and neither of their trim guys could get it on. It looks like Chrysler QC is at it again. They didn't cut large enough openings for the 2 center holes.

BigCity 11-02-2013 01:35 PM

I received a new cover yesterday, however it didn't come with any hardware is the does anyone know if the hardware needs to be purchases separately and know a part number. Or maybe know what hardware I need to get to attach to the vehicle. Any insight is appreciate.

xJoshxx 11-02-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCity (Post 922698)
I received a new cover yesterday, however it didn't come with any hardware is the does anyone know if the hardware needs to be purchases separately and know a part number. Or maybe know what hardware I need to get to attach to the vehicle. Any insight is appreciate.

Dealer they don't normally kept them in stock but I spent $5-6 a piece on them!

Mine was missing the cover when i bought it used.

radbushi 11-12-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-kon (Post 918504)
I took mine off while be custom exhaust was being installed. Now I can't get it back on right. There are 4 plastic "hook-thingies" that go into precut openings and then the 2 spring loaded knobs. The two outer hooks slide right in but the middle hooks only go half way so I can't get it back on flush. I took it to 2 different dealers and neither of their trim guys could get it on. It looks like Chrysler QC is at it again. They didn't cut large enough openings for the 2 center holes.

I took mine off once and i had to modify the slots to get it to go back on. Used a scalpel with a #11 blade.