Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   2014 Summit Modifications so far (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/2014-summit-modifications-so-far-67031.html)

Robertjeep 10-23-2013 11:38 AM

2014 Summit Modifications so far

6 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post on what I've done so far to my Summit.

Rock rails: I know I've seen some debate about whether or not you can put these on a Summit or not. My dealer had no problem with it. The only issue is that they don't line up perfectly with the fenders. Doesn't really bother me though. I wanted rock rails so that's that.
Plastidip: Mirror covers, fog light bezels, front and rear lower bumpers, rear Jeep emblem. At first I was really hesitant about Plastdip but it looks good (I think) and it is a top more durable than I thought it was going to be.
Tires/wheels: Cooper zeon LTZ 275 55 22. Overland wheels powder coated bought on ebay. Black Jeep caps.
Body shop paint: Chrome step trim by the rear door, chrome rings on grille.
Black mopar grille.
Black Jeep emblem on front.
Removed Grand Cherokee emblems from the sides.

Think that's about it. I still want to figure out something for the door handles, window trim, rear brake light trim, and roof rack chrome. Also want to get skid plates and roof rack.

kkreit01 10-23-2013 12:07 PM

Re: 2014 Summit Modifications so far

Looks great.

bkbeagle 10-24-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robertjeep (Post 915778)
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post on what I've done so far to my Summit.

Rock rails: I know I've seen some debate about whether or not you can put these on a Summit or not. My dealer had no problem with it. The only issue is that they don't line up perfectly with the fenders. Doesn't really bother me though. I wanted rock rails so that's that.
Plastidip: Mirror covers, fog light bezels, front and rear lower bumpers, rear Jeep emblem. At first I was really hesitant about Plastdip but it looks good (I think) and it is a top more durable than I thought it was going to be.
Tires/wheels: Cooper zeon LTZ 275 55 22. Overland wheels powder coated bought on ebay. Black Jeep caps.
Body shop paint: Chrome step trim by the rear door, chrome rings on grille.
Black mopar grille.
Black Jeep emblem on front.
Removed Grand Cherokee emblems from the sides.

Think that's about it. I still want to figure out something for the door handles, window trim, rear brake light trim, and roof rack chrome. Also want to get skid plates and roof rack.

Absolutely love the bright white color. Looks so clean!

Srt rob 69 10-24-2013 12:32 AM

Looks fantastic!!!! Thank go all that chrome trim is gone along the skirts!! Well done

Jeep_addicted 10-24-2013 08:49 AM

That is one Wicked looking summit.

Here is a suggestion for the door handle. Purchase a set of chrome door handle covers off ebay and then you either paint them black yourself by following these steps:

1. Scuff sand with 320 grit wet/dry paper.
2. wash and prep remove all oil and residue with prep solvent or laquer thinner.
3. Spray a few coats of adhesion promoter.
3. Then you can move onto the shade of black of your choice (matte, semi-gloss or gloss)

Duplicolor sells a decent adhesion promotor and serveral types of automotive black paint (most of these can be picked up at an autozone or advanced autopart or someplace like that.

or you can have the door handle covers professionally done if you prefer.

You can do the same for the stainless roof rails as well with the paint steps.

For the window trim most have gone the vinyl wrapping route.

Robertjeep 10-24-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 916273)
That is one Wicked looking summit.

Here is a suggestion for the door handle. Purchase a set of chrome door handle covers off ebay and then you either paint them black yourself by following these steps:

1. Scuff sand with 320 grit wet/dry paper.
2. wash and prep remove all oil and residue with prep solvent or laquer thinner.
3. Spray a few coats of adhesion promoter.
3. Then you can move onto the shade of black of your choice (matte, semi-gloss or gloss)

Duplicolor sells a decent adhesion promotor and serveral types of automotive black paint (most of these can be picked up at an autozone or advanced autopart or someplace like that.

or you can have the door handle covers professionally done if you prefer.

You can do the same for the stainless roof rails as well with the paint steps.

For the window trim most have gone the vinyl wrapping route.

Huh, that's a great idea. I never thought about getting the covers and having them painted. Thank you. I may have to try that.

Are the roof rails easy to take off? Instructions anywhere?

Yeah, I was thinking vinyl for the window trim. I just hope they do a good job and it looks good.

peejym 10-24-2013 03:49 PM

I thought of the cover as well but I saw on a post here in the forums that the chrome handle covers does not cover the hole handle and you can see chrome come through, not sure if that would be something that bother you but sure would bother me. I have OCD when it come to my JGC.

Zybane 10-24-2013 09:16 PM

I notice you have 32 inch wheels on a summit. Any issues with rubbing and have you checked for rubbing in any articulated stance like off roading?

speedraider 10-24-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zybane (Post 916763)
I notice you have 32 inch wheels on a summit. Any issues with rubbing and have you checked for rubbing in any articulated stance like off roading?

he said 22

moosehead 10-24-2013 10:21 PM

Well done, that is sharp.

What is the badge on the right rear tailgate?

Robertjeep 10-24-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedraider (Post 916796)
he said 22

Sorry, that should be 275 55 20. Not 22.

Robertjeep 10-24-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zybane (Post 916763)

No issues with rubbing at all. I've taken it offroading a few times on some pretty decent stuff and no problems.