Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Hit a Big Rock on I70, Rented a GMC Acadia (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/hit-a-big-rock-on-i70-rented-a-gmc-acadia-67034.html)

ColoradoJeep 10-23-2013 01:01 PM

Hit a Big Rock on I70, Rented a GMC Acadia

I hit a big rock the size of a gallon of milk or a watermelon on I70 west of Vail yesterday coming back from Utah.

A big Ram pickup truck in the left lane -- heavy duty 2500 or 3500 -- hit the rock and spun it into our right lane. Swerved to miss it but it just milliseconds at 60 MPH so it got sucked in under the left front wheel ... and likely thrown out the back.

I thought it just damaged the black plastic air dam on the lower front, but as we later went through the Eisenhower tunnel the tire pressure light came on for the left front tire.

We managed to get down to Georgetown and had AAA come and change the tire. At that time I noticed that the tire was torn and the inside of the rim bent.

Called State farm and took the Jeep into Pollard Motors in Boulder for a complete check up of the steering and undercarriage. Plus get a new wheel and tire and hopefully replace the front plastic air dam if there is no body damage ... and save a later trip to the body shop.

Could have been a dozen or so bad scenarios coming out hitting a rock that size at 60 MPH. Glad we were not in a small car. Could have been a real severe accident.

But the big Jeep took it in stride and I never even noticed any change in steering or handling!

Rented a loaner GMC Acadia from Enterprise. Not bad handling, "porpoises" a little on the road, not quite as smooth of a V6 ... so still glad I got the Jeep!

Aiyer 10-23-2013 01:05 PM

Re: Hit a Big Rock on I70, Rented a GMC Acadia

Glad you are safe! Glad that your Jeep sustained very minor damage. Wonder where that rock came from? Did it fall off the mountain, you know, where they have signs "Falling rock"?

Cheers,
-A

1quick1 10-23-2013 01:10 PM

I always think about this when carving the canyons when I see those rocks on the side of the road, many times in the road. We all know how everything west, that isn't 70 doesn't have street lights so I always picture seeing one last second and slamming right into it.

lstowell 10-23-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 915834)
Glad you are safe! Glad that your Jeep sustained very minor damage. Wonder where that rock came from? Did it fall off the mountain, you know, where they have signs "Falling rock"?

Cheers,
-A

I-70 has been plagued this year by rocks coming down.
Left over souvenirs from some of the heavy rains, plus now you got
anything that cracked risking being shoved off by the nightly freezes up there.

There was a larger slide that closed it just a week or so ago.....and the hillsides are presumed to be highly unstable for a year or two just from the flooding recently.

Be glad it was a small rock.

And, if you see boy scout masters with "debilitating injuries" along the side of the road, step on it, quick.

moosehead 10-23-2013 03:31 PM

Glad you are OK. Feels like not if, but when, a rock gets in our way.

ColoradoJeep 10-23-2013 04:53 PM

Talked to Pollard Motors and they have a computerized laser-based alignment machine that will check for even the slightest difference in steering and front end using factory values. Then they will reset the whole front end to factor specs. Great!

AAAA 10-23-2013 06:32 PM

Glad all is under control. Could have been much much worse.

guitartate 10-24-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoJeep (Post 915830)
I hit a big rock the size of a gallon of milk or a watermelon on I70 west of Vail yesterday coming back from Utah.

A big Ram pickup truck in the left lane -- heavy duty 2500 or 3500 -- hit the rock and spun it into our right lane. Swerved to miss it but it just milliseconds at 60 MPH so it got sucked in under the left front wheel ... and likely thrown out the back.

I thought it just damaged the black plastic air dam on the lower front, but as we later went through the Eisenhower tunnel the tire pressure light came on for the left front tire.

We managed to get down to Georgetown and had AAA come and change the tire. At that time I noticed that the tire was torn and the inside of the rim bent.

Called State farm and took the Jeep into Pollard Motors in Boulder for a complete check up of the steering and undercarriage. Plus get a new wheel and tire and hopefully replace the front plastic air dam if there is no body damage ... and save a later trip to the body shop.

Could have been a dozen or so bad scenarios coming out hitting a rock that size at 60 MPH. Glad we were not in a small car. Could have been a real severe accident.

But the big Jeep took it in stride and I never even noticed any change in steering or handling!

Rented a loaner GMC Acadia from Enterprise. Not bad handling, "porpoises" a little on the road, not quite as smooth of a V6 ... so still glad I got the Jeep!

Glad everything is ok.

Aiyer 10-24-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 915892)
And, if you see boy scout masters with "debilitating injuries" along the side of the road, step on it, quick.

:lol: :lol:

LSU_FAN 10-24-2013 04:02 PM

Glad to hear your ok!

I had to go on a trip for work last week and they rented a GMC Acadia SLT for me, I found it under powered and the seats got very uncomfortable after about three hours. Other than that it wasn't bad but not close to the Jeep!

Jim_in_PA 10-24-2013 04:18 PM

Yea, glad you were not hurt, for sure. If that rock hit a lot higher, things might have been different!!