Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Some questions about how to remove the bumper on my 2014 JGC (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/some-questions-about-how-to-remove-the-bumper-on-my-2014-jgc-67088.html)

hardy616 10-24-2013 10:31 PM

Some questions about how to remove the bumper on my 2014 JGC
 
OK, I was trying to replace the grille insertions on my limited with the chrome ones tonight. After trying for the whole night using the "mouse hand" way, finally I gave up. Now I'm considering to remove the bumper. I followed the instructions here (http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/meshinserts.pdf) but I have some questions:

1. Are the plastic rivets reusable (instead of cutting them off)? If not, what's the size of them? A link to the proper rivets and rivet guns are appreciated!

2. In this video (2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee front grill and bumper cover replacement - YouTube), they really didn't mention any fasteners as in step 3 of the pdf. Is it necessary to remove this fastener?

3. The above video didn't mention any "1/4 turn fasteners" as in step 4 of the pdf. Where are they?

Just want to avoid another frustrating night. So want to figure out everything before I start. Thanks guys!

WATacoRider 10-25-2013 12:06 AM

Re: Some questions about how to remove the bumper on my 2014 JGC
 
1. No, you cut them, so they are not reusable.

2. That part is confusing as hell. But all you have to do is cut off the bottom 2 rivets and the bolt directly above that on the fender lining.

Then you pop the 2 or was it 3 reusable clips above the grille, and the 4 on the very bottom of the bumper.



3. Look at Step 4 on the PDF. It's located on the bottom of ea corner of the liner/bumper.


The scary put is pulling on the bumper to separate the clips/snaps. I was afraid of breaking the bumper.

Do like the video by pulling the plastic fender guard halfway around. It just snaps into place.

Where your bolt was, there's a lip there, so you kinda pull back a little bit to clear the bumper from that mounting point. Then you just pull and you'll feel/see the bumper popping off. You keep working it all the way underneath the headlights too.

Do the same thing to the top of the grille. That top black piece is snapped into place also.



Concerning the rivet size, I don't know exactly. I haven't used one yet. I've been driving for the past several days without the rivets in place. I knew I had to go back in, so I just left them out for the time being.
Hand Riveter with 40 Industrial Strength Poly Rivets

CHALLENGERBIZJET 10-25-2013 01:26 AM

Go to the dealer sip his free coffee/mocha and use his wifi,30 minutes later your chrome grill is installed.

hardy616 10-25-2013 09:04 AM

Re: Some questions about how to remove the bumper on my 2014 JGC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WATacoRider (Post 916836)
1. No, you cut them, so they are not reusable.

2. That part is confusing as hell. But all you have to do is cut off the bottom 2 rivets and the bolt directly above that on the fender lining.

Then you pop the 2 or was it 3 reusable clips above the grille, and the 4 on the very bottom of the bumper.



3. Look at Step 4 on the PDF. It's located on the bottom of ea corner of the liner/bumper.


The scary put is pulling on the bumper to separate the clips/snaps. I was afraid of breaking the bumper.

Do like the video by pulling the plastic fender guard halfway around. It just snaps into place.

Where your bolt was, there's a lip there, so you kinda pull back a little bit to clear the bumper from that mounting point. Then you just pull and you'll feel/see the bumper popping off. You keep working it all the way underneath the headlights too.

Do the same thing to the top of the grille. That top black piece is snapped into place also.



Concerning the rivet size, I don't know exactly. I haven't used one yet. I've been driving for the past several days without the rivets in place. I knew I had to go back in, so I just left them out for the time being.
Hand Riveter with 40 Industrial Strength Poly Rivets

Thx! That's helpful! Will try tonight.

hardy616 10-25-2013 09:06 AM

Re: Some questions about how to remove the bumper on my 2014 JGC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHALLENGERBIZJET (Post 916858)
Go to the dealer sip his free coffee/mocha and use his wifi,30 minutes later your chrome grill is installed.

The coffee is not free. It's about $100. :lol:

CHALLENGERBIZJET 10-25-2013 10:41 AM

Go to another dealer hardy..lol

Northland 10-25-2013 11:39 AM

Re: Some questions about how to remove the bumper on my 2014 JGC
 
After you remove the bumper cover the first time you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner - very easy process. I used that Harbor Freight rivet kit in link above; it comes with several different sizes, I don't know the specific size for the GC but just use the largest rivet that will fit through the hole on the liner & fender & you're good. My tip for reinstalling the cover is to make sure the cover fits in (slides past, towards the engine) below the lower inside corners of the headlight assembly on each side - seems like that makes the entire installation process easier once that's done.

hardy616 10-25-2013 06:07 PM

Re: Some questions about how to remove the bumper on my 2014 JGC
 
Update: no luck. After removing all retainers (2 on the top, 4 on the bottom, 2 on the fender liners) and rivets (4 on the fender liners) and bolts(2 on the fender liners), I was not able to take off the bumper. The wife is very unhappy about what I did to the vehicle. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow.

CHALLENGERBIZJET 10-25-2013 06:10 PM

Once you made the wife unhappy it was a done deal hardy..the dealer will take care of you.

WATacoRider 10-25-2013 06:23 PM

Re: Some questions about how to remove the bumper on my 2014 JGC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardy616 (Post 917428)
Update: no luck. After removing all retainers (2 on the top, 4 on the bottom, 2 on the fender liners) and rivets (4 on the fender liners) and bolts(2 on the fender liners), I was not able to take off the bumper. The wife is very unhappy about what I did to the vehicle. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow.

What was the problem?

I don't remember removing any extra on the "2 on the fender liners".


But what happen? You did pull out the plastic side fender halfway up the wheel well, correct? After that, you just start pulling on the bumper straight outwards starting on 1 end. It's going to take a lot of force the 1st time. Like I said, it feels scary as shit because you think you're going to break something.

hardy616 10-25-2013 06:44 PM

Re: Some questions about how to remove the bumper on my 2014 JGC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WATacoRider (Post 917443)
What was the problem?

I don't remember removing any extra on the "2 on the fender liners".


But what happen? You did pull out the plastic side fender halfway up the wheel well, correct? After that, you just start pulling on the bumper straight outwards starting on 1 end. It's going to take a lot of force the 1st time. Like I said, it feels scary as shit because you think you're going to break something.

After watching the video again, I'm not sure I removed the correct retainers on the bottom. In the video, he said make a quarter turn on those retainers. But I pried 4 retainers on the bottom which are very close to the chrome part. Are there another 4 somewhere on the bottom?

WATacoRider 10-25-2013 06:58 PM

Re: Some questions about how to remove the bumper on my 2014 JGC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardy616 (Post 917461)
After watching the video again, I'm not sure I removed the correct retainers on the bottom. In the video, he said make a quarter turn on those retainers. But I pried 4 retainers on the bottom which are very close to the chrome part. Are there another 4 somewhere on the bottom?

To my knowledge, there's only 4 retainers along the bottom. It's pretty obviously. They are all aligned in a row right along the bottom.


Oh wait a min, when you were talking about the extra 2 in the fender lining, you must be talking about the ones you turn a 1/4 turn.

Sounds like you got everything. It just takes force to pull it by starting in the corner.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community