Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Cai (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/cai-67103.html)

kapytan83 10-25-2013 10:02 AM

Cai

I have a k&n cai 1548 and a Hypertech tuner do I need a exhaust to see any hp out of the cai mod?

kapytan83 10-25-2013 10:05 AM

It's just I wanna bore out the tb or just get larger one and wonder if it's pointless with out a exhaust system to add to my first question!

JeepFreak12 10-25-2013 10:56 AM

Re: Cai

Rule of thumb is more air in, more air out! So the more free flow exhaust the better. Even just a simple muffler swap is better than the stock restrictive one.

kapytan83 10-26-2013 01:12 AM

Awesome coz that's a question I was gonna ask next.. The muffler change will clear it up a bit? Coz I don't really wanna get a intire exhaust system

greenwayer 10-26-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kapytan83 (Post 917681)
Awesome coz that's a question I was gonna ask next.. The muffler change will clear it up a bit? Coz I don't really wanna get a intire exhaust system

No, you are going to loose some power by doing a muffler swap. Why you ask? Well the stock muffler is made to provide the correct amount of back pressure for the engine to run most efficiently. If you had a hemi it would be a slightly different story but the 4.7s are sensitive to back pressure and a free flowing exhaust will sound louder but will cause your engine to lose torque but may gain a very small negligible amount of top end hp. You will feel notice a loss in off the line performance. Cais are also more are less a fake sound mod. It will not provide you with any horsepower as your heads are fairly restrictive, and supposing you havent done a full cai (with the filter down below the bumper) it will just suck up hot air around your engine effectively reducing power as compared to the stock airbox which has ducts that suck air from the outside of the car. Also with a cai you run the risk of sucking enough water to hydrolock the engine when it rains. I know a member who hydrolocked his srt engine this way.

JeepFreak12 10-26-2013 05:20 AM

I would recommend a full exhaust, and yes a full exhaust makes a difference in performance. Hydrolock is very uncommon. Iv had a CAI on my last 3 vehicles over the last 5 years without any issues at all! Unless your going thru very deep water then you will be fine. A CAI and exhaust are pretty useless without a good tune. But they always sound better!

kapytan83 10-26-2013 09:49 AM

Yeah I just installed the Hypertech max energy programmer and I'm thinking my next thing is exhaust. I had priory wanted to get bigger or bored out tb but you think exhaust first?

JeepFreak12 10-26-2013 09:51 AM

Yes exhaust first for sure

kapytan83 10-26-2013 01:45 PM

Thought so, that being said should I go with 2.5 or 3' inch systems? I don't want too too much noise as I already like the noise it makes just wit the cai..

kapytan83 10-26-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenwayer (Post 917686)
No, you are going to loose some power by doing a muffler swap. Why you ask? Well the stock muffler is made to provide the correct amount of back pressure for the engine to run most efficiently. If you had a hemi it would be a slightly different story but the 4.7s are sensitive to back pressure and a free flowing exhaust will sound louder but will cause your engine to lose torque but may gain a very small negligible amount of top end hp. You will feel notice a loss in off the line performance. Cais are also more are less a fake sound mod. It will not provide you with any horsepower as your heads are fairly restrictive, and supposing you havent done a full cai (with the filter down below the bumper) it will just suck up hot air around your engine effectively reducing power as compared to the stock airbox which has ducts that suck air from the outside of the car. Also with a cai you run the risk of sucking enough water to hydrolock the engine when it rains. I know a member who hydrolocked his srt engine this way.

all the ads for the cai's say 10+hp blah blah mines saying 9.7hp how can they possibly say that if it's not doing that? Does it really not ad any hp? (Even decrease it) coz I am happy with mine, love the sound and feel at higher rpms it's stronger but do agree at lower it did lag a bit until I got the Hypertech Tuner and now sounds amazing and goes good..

JeepFreak12 10-26-2013 02:51 PM

I would stay at 2.5" unless your doing a full new exhaust. If you want to run a full 3" exhaust, try contacting Kolak

kapytan83 10-26-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepFreak12 (Post 917069)
Rule of thumb is more air in, more air out! So the more free flow exhaust the better. Even just a simple muffler swap is better than the stock restrictive one.

back preasure will that muffler swap ruin that effecting performance in negative way?