Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Water leaking from mufflers? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/water-leaking-from-mufflers-67113.html)

not_too_shabby 10-25-2013 01:58 PM

Water leaking from mufflers?

2 Attachment(s)
I Know it's normal for condensation to drain out the end of the tail pipe. In my 2014 water is dripping from the mufflers themselves. Is this normal? I thought it was wierd that these water spots aren't at the end of the exhaust.

not_too_shabby 10-25-2013 02:51 PM

The picture makes it look more obvious than it did when looking at it first hand that there is a hole intentionally put there. Doing a bit of research reveals the holes are there to prevent the muffler from rusting because of trapped water. Genius!

bill_de 10-25-2013 02:55 PM

Re: Water leaking from mufflers?

Now don't you feel better finding the answer on your own. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

---

Jeep_addicted 10-25-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_too_shabby (Post 917285)
The picture makes it look more obvious than it did when looking at it first hand that there is a hole intentionally put there. Doing a bit of research reveals the holes are there to prevent the muffler from rusting because of trapped water. Genius!

Like you found out already it is normal, the resonators uses baffling instead of packing to control the sound. For some reason lots of moisture can accumulate in the exhaust system especially overnight you normally see this as steam emitting from the tailpipe on idle and also drips of water from the drain holes in the resonators.

not_too_shabby 10-25-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 917292)
Now don't you feel better finding the answer on your own. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ---

Yes, except I found the answer in a Ford forum. :thumbsdown:

AZhiCntry 10-25-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 917307)
Like you found out already it is normal, the resonators uses baffling instead of packing to control the sound. For some reason lots of moisture can accumulate in the exhaust system especially overnight you normally see this as steam emitting from the tailpipe on idle and also drips of water from the drain holes in the resonators.

H2o is a byproduct of combustion. When the exhaust system is hot it goes out the tailpipe as steam. When first started cold the cold exhaust system condenses steam back to water until the exhaust system heats up. When a hot exhaust system is shut down cooling converts steam to water which collects in the exhaust system low spots.

Sh0rtBus 10-25-2013 03:54 PM

I'm actually glad you created this thread. I noticed this exact same thing yesterday when I was leaving work. Started my GC from inside my office and walked out to find the water spots on the ground way ahead of the tailpipes. I didn't get up under there and look because I was ready to head home for the day. Now I know why they're there. :thumbsup: