Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   4.0 performance mods (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/4-0-performance-mods-67120.html)

jake lagerstrom 10-25-2013 03:23 PM

4.0 performance mods

I am looking for mods for my 1999 wj 4.0. mainly bolt on nothing major. I already have a cold air intake, throttle body spacer, injectors, high flow cat and a cat back system. I am ordering the banks header and the bbk 62mm throttle body itself any other ideas out there

lstowell 10-25-2013 04:19 PM

Re: 4.0 performance mods

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake lagerstrom (Post 917315)
I am looking for mods for my 1999 wj 4.0. mainly bolt on nothing major. I already have a cold air intake, throttle body spacer, injectors, high flow cat and a cat back system. I am ordering the banks header and the bbk 62mm throttle body itself any other ideas out there

You've pretty much covered the simpler stuff it looks like. A stroker crank tends to be best done with even more $$$ mods.

I'd do your ideas, then save up pennies for a 5.0 litre Monster Forged replacement :p

Baalic 10-26-2013 01:20 PM

Performance and 4.0 should never be used at the same time.... The 4.0 was meant to be reliable and its rock solid reliable, and just about indestructible. I remember when I was looking at adding more power to it, I found a ton of options, the most extreme, was a head/cam package that was about $4000 that added 25-35 hp........... for $4000 you might as well buy a v8 and put it in .....

That reason alone was one of the biggest reasons why I decided to buy my 2014 Hemi Overland, was because the 4.0, while a great motor, did not make anywhere near enough power nor was it feasible to add power to it. I suppose you could go Turbo/ or Centrifig S/C, but in the end, you spend more on the engine mods then the entire Jeep is worth and you would be better spent just buying a new one or one with a Hemi.

That's my .02 anyways...

JeepMe 10-26-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baalic (Post 917946)
Performance and 4.0 should never be used at the same time.... The 4.0 was meant to be reliable and its rock solid reliable, and just about indestructible. I remember when I was looking at adding more power to it, I found a ton of options, the most extreme, was a head/cam package that was about $4000 that added 25-35 hp........... for $4000 you might as well buy a v8 and put it in .....

That reason alone was one of the biggest reasons why I decided to buy my 2014 Hemi Overland, was because the 4.0, while a great motor, did not make anywhere near enough power nor was it feasible to add power to it. I suppose you could go Turbo/ or Centrifig S/C, but in the end, you spend more on the engine mods then the entire Jeep is worth and you would be better spent just buying a new one or one with a Hemi.

That's my .02 anyways...

If you're spending $4k to add 35 hp, you're doing it wrong. Heck, you can buy a drop in stroker motor for $4k and end up a bit short of 300 hp and over 300 lbft. If you piece a stroker build together, you can cut that price to less than $1k in parts and about $500 in machining.

Baalic 10-26-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 918251)
If you're spending $4k to add 35 hp, you're doing it wrong. Heck, you can buy a drop in stroker motor for $4k and end up a bit short of 300 hp and over 300 lbft. If you piece a stroker build together, you can cut that price to less than $1k in parts and about $500 in machining.

building a stroker motor means its not even a 4.0, which is partly my point. for a full on build on a 4.0, heads, cam, intake, etc easily 4k , or a similar price for a F/I .

and if i was going to drop 4k, im sorry but id ve buying a pull out LS3, and do a bad ass conversion and end up with a 400+ hp motor before I modded that, and ended up with an 800 hp WJ. which, was EXACTLY my plans, until I realized I would be investing more like 25-30k in a Jeep that no longer was practical. lol

so i just got rid of it and bought a WK2. I think I even had a post on LS1tech.com asking about LSX conversions ;)

sl1980able 11-01-2013 12:48 PM

looks like you have covered it other than a chip. I think there is a place called Titan that does a head/cam package maybe tops $1000 last i looked a few months ago at doing the same thing. Just trying to figure out what projects I want to tackle over the cold months. Under the hood/ exterior/interior and I am about done modding the Jeep.

Baalic 11-01-2013 03:20 PM

some of the coolest performance mods ive seen are people changing the 4.0 for a chevy 5.3 lsx style.. i saw a thread once were someone did a full build on a 4.0 and still only had 300 hp.. good luck on the project im in for the pics!!

Gus9890 11-06-2013 10:52 PM

Seems like you got most of the bolt-ons covers. I think bout only thing left would be to put a chip in and get her tuned.