Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Transfer Case NV245 issues- the CLUNK! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/transfer-case-nv245-issues-the-clunk-67124.html)

DannyVtCa 10-25-2013 06:18 PM

Transfer Case NV245 issues- the CLUNK!

Well, for starters I had the dreaded front differential bushings clunking since around 40k miles. I finally changed them at 95k and the top bushing was dried and cracked. At this time I also changed the front driveshafts and wheel bearings.

This did not solve my clunking issues. The symptoms are I get a clunking when I shift from park into drive or reverse. I get a clunking noise when I am slowing down and coming to a stop, and then clunking again when I push the accelerator. I crawled under the Jeep and checked the driveshaft bolts, all tight. I can rotate the driveshaft by hand about 15-20 degrees when in 4wd high. When I put it in 4wd low, the driveshaft is tight and there is zero rotation. I am guessing this clunking is the slack or something broken in the transfer case. I have 111K miles on it, and have changed the transfer case fluid 4-5 times. Also, this jeep has seen daily offroading, heavy towing of farm equipment from time to time, and grew up on a dirt road so no doubt the transfer case has seen its fair share of transferring energy.

My question is, what should I do? It isn't throwing any codes on the diablo. Is this slack something I have to live with or is there a fix? Anyone else have a similar experience?

inferno red wk 11-03-2013 02:41 PM

I had a very similar problem it ended up being my axle isolator bushings. You cold also have play in your steering rack mine caused almost identical symptoms. You may a a to adjust your steering rack

jeepgcoman 11-03-2013 03:02 PM

Re: Transfer Case NV245 issues- the CLUNK!

Or slack in the Xfer case chain.

DannyVtCa 11-04-2013 02:49 AM

What are the axle isolator bushings? Are they the same as the differential bushings? Has anyone ever torn apart the transfer case and replaced the chain? Are their any other parts in the transfer case that may need replacing? I'm not quite ready to rip the things out and try and fix it.... Plus I can buy a rebuilt one for $800 bucks.... Not really sure what I am going to do. I am thinking that maybe I should have changed the differential bushings sooner, maybe the play in the differential caused the damage in the transfer case.

inferno red wk 11-06-2013 04:02 PM

The axle isolator bushings are what mount the axle pumpkin to the frame. I have. It taken apart these transfer cases but I have done some work on my np205 from my old suburban tranfer cases in my experience are all that terrible to do

Boomer914 12-16-2013 08:31 PM

i have the 3.7 wk. I have had this issue for a long time. trans is funny and clunks and now im not sure if its the trans, the transfer case chains, or the chains throwning the trans out of wack. could be anything. other than that the trans and power are always there and drives great.

Boomer914 03-24-2014 09:41 AM

Was this issue resolved? I don't get the park to reverse clunk. I'm wondering if it's the TC.

forecy 04-15-2014 08:40 AM

I'm having very similar issues. Mine clunks when slowing down and sometimes while accelerating but not when shifting from park to reverse. I tore apart the ESM and cleaned the TCM thinking this might have been the issue since so many people have had tranny issues because of a dirty TCM...but it didn't help. Starting to look into the transfer case and diffs now.

How come the front diff is the culprit? Wouldn't it make more sense to be coming from the rear diff? Mine clunks driving down the road so it should be in 2WD. I have the 4.7L with QTII

inferno red wk 04-20-2014 01:56 AM

have you checked your steering rack i know it may sound crazy but its a problem i had

*sox* 04-20-2014 12:23 PM

Axle bushings!

Boomer914 04-20-2014 12:32 PM

The thing is that I know its not the axle bushings........

*sox* 04-20-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer914 (Post 1009983)
The thing is that I know its not the axle bushings........

Sorry i mean danny

.........iPhone JeepGarage-App