Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   New App in Uconnect store (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/new-app-in-uconnect-store-67235.html)

esierens 10-28-2013 06:31 PM

New App in Uconnect store

1 Attachment(s)
New App in Uconnect store. I just noticed a App called Via Mobile.

bill_de 10-28-2013 06:47 PM

Re: New App in Uconnect store

I think this is the connection to the uConnect system for apps like pandora, etc.

Can they be far behind?

esierens 10-28-2013 07:13 PM

Thats what it looks like to me.

Tarponbeach 10-28-2013 07:24 PM

I saw that too. doesn't seem like it is ready for download however, but this got me curious....I have not yet used bluetooth from my Galaxy S4 to stream mp3's, or Pandora, but I tried it tonight. I was surprised that the touch screen displayed the name of the song, artist, etc, and that I could pause, FF, RW from the screen or the steering wheel controls. I'm assuming that this is not something new, or related to the Via Mobile App?

Northland 10-28-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarponbeach (Post 919501)
I'm assuming that this is not something new, or related to the Via Mobile App?

No, it's a function of Bluetooth - I stream Slacker all the time via my iPhone 5 and it shows artist; song; etc. on the screen and I can advance songs & change volume with the steering wheel controls.

Tarponbeach 10-28-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northland (Post 919512)
No, it's a function of Bluetooth - I stream Slacker all the time via my iPhone 5 and it shows artist; song; etc. on the screen and I can advance songs & change volume with the steering wheel controls.

Thanks, that's what I suspected, never having used it before tonight.

mswlogo 10-28-2013 08:25 PM

People keep getting excited about coming apps. But when things like Pandora show up, it will probably be through THEIR service and most folks will not want to pay for the service, especially if they already have the service on their phone.

What you want, is the car to use YOUR phone for the data service along with Native Apps in Car. But I doubt that is gonna happen. Nor is it easier to do, because most phones have to be rooted or you have to pay for the service (i.e. WIFI Hotspot or Bluetooth Tether).

You can basically do it now, with Bluetooth. It's just a Push from the phone instead of Pull from the car. As discussed in the last few posts.

By the way I've been experimenting with the newest Bluetooth Speakers and Adapters that support Apt-X. Basically a Lossless Codec for Bluetooth Music. It sounds quite good compared to the standard lossy codec.

It sure would be nice if the UConnect could support Apt-X. Not sure if it requires new hardware or can be done in firmware. Much rather have this than silly FLAC support.

bill_de 10-28-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 919545)
People keep getting excited about coming apps. But when things like Pandora show up, it will probably be through THEIR service and most folks will not want to pay for the service, especially if they already have the service on their phone.

What you want, is the car to use YOUR phone for the data service along with Native Apps in Car. But I doubt that is gonna happen. Nor is it easier to do, because most phones have to be rooted or you have to pay for the service (i.e. WIFI Hotspot or Bluetooth Tether).

You can basically do it now, with Bluetooth. It's just a Push from the phone instead of Pull from the car. As discussed in the last few posts.

By the way I've been experimenting with the newest Bluetooth Speakers and Adapters that support Apt-X. Basically a Lossless Codec for Bluetooth Music. It sounds quite good compared to the standard lossy codec.

It sure would be nice if the UConnect could support Apt-X. Not sure if it requires new hardware or can be done in firmware. Much rather have this than silly FLAC support.

Or you could be wrong about it not using your phone.

---

StaticFX 10-29-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 919545)

You should read up on it. Its not using their service at all, it will use your phones data plan. The app will just link your phone to the radio to allow easier control. If you have an iPhone, just plug in the usb and start Pandora... shows album art, artist, etc and you can play/pause/skip songs.

also, to all.. i just checked on the Dashboard website... the App is free till 2018 for me. So hopefully this means its not part fot he Uconnect access - because no way in hell would i pay $19.99 / month for remote start from my phone and an assist button that is useless.

mswlogo 10-29-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaticFX (Post 919790)
You should read up on it. Its not using their service at all, it will use your phones data plan. The app will just link your phone to the radio to allow easier control. If you have an iPhone, just plug in the usb and start Pandora... shows album art, artist, etc and you can play/pause/skip songs.

But that works today. With no apps.

Perhaps they could "improve" the interface. But that will still be Bluetooth.

To get the car to use the phone directly for the "Internet" so that a fully native App runs in the car, is messy. I've had that with a Parrot Radio (these are the folks that make Bluetooth Car interfaces for many Car companies).

There are several ways to do it. But the best way was installing a Data only Dongle. Which is what the Jeep already has.

Getting the Jeep to use your phone as the "Hot Spot" is highly unlikely.

Only because I suspect they want to hook us on their data plans. And we are stuck with what ever they choose.

I hope I'm wrong.

StaticFX 10-30-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 920228)
But that works today. With no apps.

Perhaps they could "improve" the interface. But that will still be Bluetooth.

To get the car to use the phone directly for the "Internet" so that a fully native App runs in the car, is messy. I've had that with a Parrot Radio (these are the folks that make Bluetooth Car interfaces for many Car companies).

There are several ways to do it. But the best way was installing a Data only Dongle. Which is what the Jeep already has.

Getting the Jeep to use your phone as the "Hot Spot" is highly unlikely.

Only because I suspect they want to hook us on their data plans. And we are stuck with what ever they choose.

I hope I'm wrong.

The interface etc will be improved. Thats what this app is for (so they say lol). And, yes.. it uses your phones data.

Uconnect® Access | The next generation of connectivity has arrived
Quote:

Via Mobile makes it easy to enjoy your favorite apps and stay focused on driving. It uses your smartphone's data plan to access Uconnect® System-enabled apps, which you control with your touchscreen or steering wheel audio controls