Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Brown interior scuffs rather easy (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/brown-interior-scuffs-rather-easy-67256.html)

wrench 10-29-2013 08:55 AM

Brown interior scuffs rather easy

The kick panels, sides of the rear storage area and almost anything plastic scuffs quite easy on my '14 Jeep Overland with brown interior. A damp rag removes some to most of it but not all. Have any of you found a product that works particularly well at hiding/blending the scuffs but does not make the area glossy? By the way, this is the only negative thing I can say about my Jeep. Delivery was in May and I have only been back to the dealer for their complimentary car washes. Thank you Fields.

BobsWK2 10-29-2013 06:59 PM

Re: Brown interior scuffs rather easy

Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Even though the dealer had no luck, I was able to remove the scuff marks on the drivers interior door panel that was there from some uncareful person with big feet prior to me taking delivery.

scooterha 10-29-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrench (Post 919816)
The kick panels, sides of the rear storage area and almost anything plastic scuffs quite easy on my '14 Jeep Overland with brown interior. A damp rag removes some to most of it but not all. Have any of you found a product that works particularly well at hiding/blending the scuffs but does not make the area glossy? By the way, this is the only negative thing I can say about my Jeep. Delivery was in May and I have only been back to the dealer for their complimentary car washes. Thank you Fields.

you let a dealer wash your car? *gasp*

wrench 10-30-2013 06:34 AM

Bob, thanks for your reply. I've used the Mr Clean Eraser with good results on a vehicle with a white interior. I'm reluctant to try it on the brown as scuffing is the issue and that is basically what the Eraser does to remove marks. What color interior have you tried this on? I notice you feature a white Jeep in the photo. I may pull a plastic panel to access the back for a test if the textures front/back are the same.

BobsWK2 10-30-2013 05:52 PM

I have the black interior and it worked great on it. I applied light pressure on the eraser and after 2 attempts, I can't tell the scuffs were there. And I'm super fussy about such things. In the past, I've replaced a glove compartment door and a large inside panel in the rear cargo area of a GX470 because of some light scratches in the plastic.

In fact, I'm also tempted to try the eraser on something that is on the leather dashboard that came that way from the factory.

Wxchaser 10-30-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 920942)
I have the black interior and it worked great on it. I applied light pressure on the eraser and after 2 attempts, I can't tell the scuffs were there. And I'm super fussy about such things. In the past, I've replaced a glove compartment door and a large inside panel in the rear cargo area of a GX470 because of some light scratches in the plastic.

In fact, I'm also tempted to try the eraser on something that is on the leather dashboard that came that way from the factory.

Bob is entirely right, the Magic Eraser works like a champ on scuff marks, marks on doors, etc. Great product.

bill_de 10-30-2013 08:59 PM

I guess I'll have to pick one up. The indigo shows more scuff marks than any of the interiors I've ever had.

I remember when the cars I had were made with carpeting across the bottom of the doors and kick panels. Hit them with a vac once in a while and good to go. No scuff marks.

---

SW03ES 10-31-2013 12:05 AM

Be careful with the Magic Erasers. They do have harsh cleaners in them that over time will fade the color of the interior plastic. I wouldn't use them as an everyday cleaning option.

Andyp911 10-31-2013 12:35 AM

I am super fussy with my cars, just sold my Calais (Chevrolet) whilst waiting for my new Jeep to arrive. My Calais had very light interior and continually used to end up with dark scuff marks on lower section of drivers door inner trim.

This product, as well as being great for breaking down sticky residue, it also removes scuff marks without harming.

Not sure if you can get in the States but some supplier in Australia should be able to post to go, just google.

See picture below of the product.

http://media.officeworks.com.au/ims_...00AC193D36.JPG

jeepinAl 10-31-2013 10:31 AM

Once clean has anybody applied a clear film (3M-ish) to the panels that seem to get scratches? I'm thinking about putting a protective film on the lower portion of the door panel ( I know the solution would be not to kick it getting out of the Jeep, but....)

Al

SW03ES 10-31-2013 01:50 PM

I don't think there is any such film...

lstowell 10-31-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyp911 (Post 921164)
I am super fussy with my cars, just sold my Calais (Chevrolet) whilst waiting for my new Jeep to arrive. My Calais had very light interior and continually used to end up with dark scuff marks on lower section of drivers door inner trim.

This product, as well as being great for breaking down sticky residue, it also removes scuff marks without harming.

Not sure if you can get in the States but some supplier in Australia should be able to post to go, just google.

See picture below of the product.

http://media.officeworks.com.au/ims_...00AC193D36.JPG

Is that an orange peel based cleaner?
Or just a orange smelling one?
There are all sorts of those [peel based] sitting right side up in USofA stores, [e.g. goo gone] but those things are quite powerful and may harm plastic.