Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Did Anyone Else Notice That The Console Cover Is Plastic (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/did-anyone-else-notice-that-the-console-cover-is-plastic-67285.html)

watchdog507 10-29-2013 04:18 PM

Did Anyone Else Notice That The Console Cover Is Plastic

I was just giving my leather a quick wipe and I noticed that the texture of the centre armrest/console cover is kind of tacky, closer inspection tells me its plastic. I would have thought that the bean counters would have been voted down on this? My Overland was leather.

Scottina06 10-29-2013 05:00 PM

Its leather

ENFORCER 10-29-2013 07:21 PM

Re: Did Anyone Else Notice That The Console Cover Is Plastic

It is more likely Pleather or PU Leather, due to the high wear area that the lid is exposed to. It is the same stuff the seat sides are made of, as they look like leather, but have much better wear qualities to real cow hide, and is cheaper.

mrmaker 10-29-2013 11:36 PM

I believe it's leather aswell, matches the sepia in feel, texture and smell, there is no PU on my seats either.

K_SRT8 10-30-2013 12:18 PM

It is not real leather. Real leather has unique feel when you touch it. Even in the standard leather and sued seat I can tell the leather is not real because real leather is expensive.

Scottina06 10-30-2013 12:22 PM

Mine looks snd feels like leather

bill_de 10-30-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_SRT8 (Post 920710)
It is not real leather. Real leather has unique feel when you touch it. Even in the standard leather and sued seat I can tell the leather is not real because real leather is expensive.

Like with most vehicles, the leather has a urethane coating, most cows don't.

---

watchdog507 10-30-2013 01:37 PM

After pawing every leather surface I've decided that my centre console is urethane not leather with urethane as a coating. Texture is pretty tacky and cheap. Just like regular vinyl. An upholsterer that I know said that if you feel leather it is warm to touch and the plastic is cold. That's my verdict short of cutting it open to see. Maybe they have changed it in the production run.

Faustus 11-09-2013 10:02 PM

Leather these days is highly treated. Tackiness would be due to any surface treatment - not underlying substrate.

A-kon 11-11-2013 10:16 AM

It's leather.

watchdog507 11-12-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-kon (Post 928193)
It's leather.

I'm not going to beat this to death any longer.

I was in a black Summit yesterday and the texture of the Summit console is leather and it feels very different, mine looks and feels like plastic. The texture of my console is totally different from any of the leather anywhere in my SRT. You can pinch it like plastic and it stretches.

It is what it is.

A-kon 11-12-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchdog507 (Post 929080)
I'm not going to beat this to death any longer.

It is what it is.

Yes. Leather. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: