Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export & Diesel Powered Jeep Models (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/)
-   -   Potential diesel buyers beware this is a post from a Jeep grand Cherokee lover (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/potential-diesel-buyers-beware-this-is-a-post-from-a-jeep-grand-cherokee-lover-67309.html)

JimmyLuv 10-30-2013 04:53 AM

Potential diesel buyers beware this is a post from a Jeep grand Cherokee lover

I want to first of all say that I am a diehard Jeep grand Cherokee fan. If I were to count them up I think I've owned at least eight brand new Jeep grand Cherokees from the Laredo to limited to Overland to overland summit to a diesel to the mother of all jeep grand Cherokee's the SRT. I almost feel bad saying this but I did own a brand-new 2007 Jeep grand Cherokee diesel limited. I run the Freightliner dealerships in Arizona and can honestly say I am a die hard diesel engine fan. Never in my life have I owned a car that had so many problems that people who knew me made fun of the fact that I owned a car that broke down so much. They joked and said if I ever moved I better be close to jeep dealership because my Jeep was always always always in the shop. I certainly hope jeep has done a better job with this engine then the one I had in my 2007. All I can say is I am a 100% loyal jeep fan and I would never dare try another diesel engine in this product. That being said I have owned at least five grand Cherokees after the 2007 diesel engine version. Buyer beware!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone has questions I'd be more than happy to speak to someone. My cell phone number is 623–217–4202. After owning the diesel engine jeep for 30 days it went to a shop in Utah and they kept it for over 30 days because no one was qualified to work on them and no one stocked the appropriate parts to fix it. The best advice I could ever give someone is don't buy a diesel engine from jeep. Once again please feel free to call me direct and I could tell you the horror stories of owning such a product.

Sincerely

a huge Jeep grand Cherokee fan James

SNUKE 10-30-2013 05:42 AM

Re: Potential diesel buyers beware this is a post from a Jeep grand Cherokee lover

You haven't actually said what the problem is.
That might help.

The only issues I have read about by Aus users (we have had the CRD for 3 years now) is issues with the DPR filter filling up without warning.
As you have the piss tanks it is not an issue.
So apart form that I have only read of glowing reviews.
But yes, dealers/service in the US are far behind a lot of the world when it comes to modern diesels.

Again, telling us what the actual issue helps put your comments into context rather than seem quite bizarre.

Silverhammer 10-30-2013 06:46 AM

Jimmy, we're not getting the Luv!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

ahamay115 10-30-2013 07:16 AM

Re: Potential diesel buyers beware this is a post from a Jeep grand Cherokee lover

I would appreciate hearing some more details on the prior diesel version as well. I had not heard of too many negative reviews of them, but they were not hugely popular around my area.

I am highly considering the new one though, and would be very interested in hearing some details.

Also, does anyone know if the engine in the new diesels is the same/different from the previous one? I haven't done a ton of research just yet as I am planning to wait till 2015 before I buy in.

Chivvalry 10-30-2013 08:29 AM

The new engine is COMPLETELY different... the old diesel was from Mercedes and the new one is a VM Motori. Comparing them makes no sense.

Gale Banks is actually making a MISPEC version of this engine as well..
Inside The Banks VM Motori 3.0L 630T V6 Diesel Engine - Diesel Power Magazine

The new diesel has been shipping to the Aussies for awhile now and they have had nothing but love for it. I'm not sure what you are trying to do here but you are ringing an alarm bell that probably shouldnt be rung...

Are you vying for Chicken Little's job?

blackpepper 10-30-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chivvalry (Post 920538)
The new engine is COMPLETELY different... the old diesel was from Mercedes and the new one is a VM Motori. Comparing them makes no sense.

Gale Banks is actually making a MISPEC version of this engine as well..

The new diesel has been shipping to the Aussies for awhile now and they have had nothing but love for it. I'm not sure what you are trying to do here but you are ringing an alarm bell that probably shouldnt be rung...

Are you vying for Chicken Little's job?

This. Apples vs. Oranges. Germans Vs. Italians.

tnadanzig 10-31-2013 01:46 PM

James, I appreciate your experience and view point. However, I have a totally different experience. I currently own two Jeep WK CRD's for several years now and I have never had any issues with either of my Jeeps besides normal maintenance. I have made a few reliability upgrades to my Jeeps because of know issues, but mainly to improve performance. I think these OM642 engines as reliable as any modern engine. I get awesome power and wonderful fuel mileage. My only recommendation if you really want to keep your diesel Jeep running for the long haul is get a good tune and remove the DPF.

I will agree with you on the lack of knowledgeable mechanics to work on this OM642 engine in some areas, but I also feel that way in general about most mechanics on other make and models as well. I gave up taking any of my vehicles to mechanics years ago. The best thing I did was get a really good scan tool and with a decent tool set have fixed any problem I have ever had. If I can't fix it than its not worth fixing. I also have no formal auto mechanic training.
In a year or so I am looking forward to getting a new 15 Jeep WK2 diesel for my wife to drive. I won't hesitate to get another Jeep diesel. I have heard good things about the new engine from our Aussie friends. I plan on keeping it stock for a little while, but stock is so boring.
I just don't want anyone scared of these engines because its not really warranted in my opinion.

lstowell 10-31-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyLuv (Post 920438)
I want to first of all say that I am a diehard Jeep grand Cherokee fan. If I were to count them up I think I've owned at least eight brand new Jeep grand Cherokees from the Laredo to limited to Overland to overland summit to a diesel to the mother of all jeep grand Cherokee's the SRT. I almost feel bad saying this but I did own a brand-new 2007 Jeep grand Cherokee diesel limited. I run the Freightliner dealerships in Arizona and can honestly say I am a die hard diesel engine fan. Never in my life have I owned a car that had so many problems that people who knew me made fun of the fact that I owned a car that broke down so much. They joked and said if I ever moved I better be close to jeep dealership because my Jeep was always always always in the shop. I certainly hope jeep has done a better job with this engine then the one I had in my 2007. All I can say is I am a 100% loyal jeep fan and I would never dare try another diesel engine in this product. That being said I have owned at least five grand Cherokees after the 2007 diesel engine version. Buyer beware!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone has questions I'd be more than happy to speak to someone. My cell phone number is 623–217–4202. After owning the diesel engine jeep for 30 days it went to a shop in Utah and they kept it for over 30 days because no one was qualified to work on them and no one stocked the appropriate parts to fix it. The best advice I could ever give someone is don't buy a diesel engine from jeep. Once again please feel free to call me direct and I could tell you the horror stories of owning such a product.

Sincerely

a huge Jeep grand Cherokee fan James

Are you aware that the new diesel is a VM Motori truck diesel used all over Europe, and even available in the Humvee...

Tempus_Fugit 11-09-2013 08:50 AM

I think you are trolling Jimmy.

Our 08 GC CRD has been problem free for 100K miles.

burger 11-09-2013 10:01 AM

Ive had the 2014 CRD since August, has not missed a beat . Great vehicle, smooth power delivery from 8 speed gearbox. Put in sport mode and floor it - sits you back in your seat, power to burn. Best diesel I have ever driven. Now has 9400 kms on speedo, Its just really good all round.

Shertim 11-09-2013 08:50 PM

Totally agree Burger

echo7tango 11-09-2013 09:15 PM

Interesting OP, especially since he hasn't been back in over a week. Likely a troller.

I just test drove one, one of the first-ever at the Burlingame, CA (near San Francisco) dealership. It has finally arrived -- yeah!

Anyway, it's excellent. Great test drive, although I only put about 7 miles on it, city streets and highway 101. I'm seriously considering it.