Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Performance gains from aftermarket exhaust systems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/performance-gains-from-aftermarket-exhaust-systems-67351.html)

YjagetaJeep 10-30-2013 11:39 PM

Performance gains from aftermarket exhaust systems

I've done pretty much all I can do as far as bolt on mods go....CAI, Ported Throttle Body, Catch Can, and HemiFever Tune. These mods have knocked off a good 1.3 seconds off my 0-60 times.
So I'm wondering how much if any improvement I could see with a cat back system.
Any of you that have installed one and monitored your improvements, I could use your input. I've learned so much from this forum so I'm hoping to get just a little bit more knowledge from you guys!
Thanks
Ed

moosehead 10-31-2013 11:17 AM

Re: Performance gains from aftermarket exhaust systems

YJ, I took that same approach by adding any incremental mods possible on the performance side. Though in my case, it was on a first available parts basis as I started with an early build WK2.

I may get flamed for this, but IME, the catbacks only add a minor performance boost, and in that regard, much of their benefit is great sound. Guessing here, but you might only see another tenth or two benefit on 0-60 times from the catbacks, where the Hemifever tune will give you greatest incremental gains in both time and price/value. Sorry, no real dynos to back this up, just my own experience on this vehicle.

All that said, love the Borla rumble. So far, I've been able to resist squeezing in a real set of headers.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/borla...ips-19225.html

Evolv0 11-01-2013 07:54 AM

In my opinionm when it comes to gaining power from an exhaust, Headers is where the gains are made. Im a fan of longtubes, but as for the rest of the exhaust, just make sure their tubing is the same size as the header outlets or maybe a .25" bigger, with good flow.

youzzi714 02-12-2014 11:25 PM

I also have a 593rwhp NA Vette Z06, I got 2hp gain from a catback system versus 35hp from headers.

Remember, gains in engines are seen in airflow in and exhaust flow out. Think of an engine as an air pump, whats the best way to get it in and out.

jgrimberg1979 02-13-2014 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evolv0 (Post 921894)
In my opinionm when it comes to gaining power from an exhaust, Headers is where the gains are made. Im a fan of longtubes, but as for the rest of the exhaust, just make sure their tubing is the same size as the header outlets or maybe a .25" bigger, with good flow.

Yes but are there any for 2012-2014 non SRT? I haven't seen anything but if you know somewhere that does have them please tell because I would love to buy

f1anatic 02-13-2014 07:10 AM

Catback exhaust systems gain you nothing but sound. The gains are found in the headers or in the case of turbocharged cars, in the up-pipe and down-pipe- and these exhaust components have the catalytic converters. But tinkering with emission control equipment is a violation of the Clean Air Act so be careful if you are violating any federal or state laws.

That being said, the SRT has a 6.4 L V8 (470 hp; 465 lb-ft) vs your engine a 5.7 V8 (360 hp/390 lb-ft). Both Hemi. One thing the folks in the Subaru world do well is borrow parts up and down the trim line because they are interchangeable. What don't you research if the part numbers are different between these two engine trims for the headers and for the remainder of the catalytic converter-equipped exhaust? Maybe they are higher flow on the SRT and bolt-on for you. This way you remain polar-bear friendly and get on your performance increase. And also report back here because I am interested - obviously not for the headers but maybe for any other interchangeable sections of piping with catalytic converters from the SRT to other trims.

MuSh 02-13-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 975194)
Catback exhaust systems gain you nothing but sound. The gains are found in the headers or in the case of turbocharged cars, in the up-pipe and down-pipe- and these exhaust components have the catalytic converters. But tinkering with emission control equipment is a violation of the Clean Air Act so be careful if you are violating any federal or state laws. That being said, the SRT has a 6.4 L V8 (470 hp; 465 lb-ft) vs your engine a 5.7 V8 (360 hp/390 lb-ft). Both Hemi. One thing the folks in the Subaru world do well is borrow parts up and down the trim line because they are interchangeable. What don't you research if the part numbers are different between these two engine trims for the headers and for the remainder of the catalytic converter-equipped exhaust? Maybe they are higher flow on the SRT and bolt-on for you. This way you remain polar-bear friendly and get on your performance increase. And also report back here because I am interested - obviously not for the headers but maybe for any other interchangeable sections of piping with catalytic converters from the SRT to other trims.

To say you gain nothing but sound is inaccurate IMHO. A performance muffler will flow more air, as they are less restrictive. Until manufactures are allowed to ignore emission and decibel levels, there will always be room to make an improvement. It may not be noticeable, and may only be a couple hp, but it's not nothing.

There are just better bangs for your buck than you get with an exhaust.

ufokillerz 02-14-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgrimberg1979 (Post 975118)
Yes but are there any for 2012-2014 non SRT? I haven't seen anything but if you know somewhere that does have them please tell because I would love to buy

ARH has them, atleast they have them for my 2014 durango. Just need to get myself scheduled for a install.

Evolv0 02-21-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ufokillerz (Post 975948)
ARH has them, atleast they have them for my 2014 durango. Just need to get myself scheduled for a install.

Link? I don't see it on their website.

kkreit01 02-21-2014 02:26 PM

Long tubes are going to be really loud for what used to be a quiet SUV. Do you really race up and down the track every weekend? I understand wanting to mod to make it slightly better, and you've already made a huge improvement. +1.3 secs is a huge improvement with basic bolt-ons. An exhaust would compliment your mods well. You are already pulling in more air up front, you might as well push it out the back easier. I agree that long tubes are a huge gain -- especially if you have a tune for them. But, it's going to get to the point where it could be obnoxious as a daily-driver. It all depends on your personal goals, and family style.

Jpiwonski 02-25-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evolv0 (Post 979703)
Link? I don't see it on their website.

I spoke with the owner at corvettes at carlisle and he said the headers listed under the srt should fit the 5.7 as well.