Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Rattling / clicking noise in dash or steering column (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/rattling-clicking-noise-in-dash-or-steering-column-67354.html)

bgmills 10-31-2013 02:55 AM

Rattling / clicking noise in dash or steering column

Hi All,
I have a Jeep GC Limited 2014 in Australia only just picked it up and just getting a faint clicking or rattling noise that seems to be coming from the steering column or dash area. Build date was July 2013. I've read on here that there was a TSB for a steering wheel rattle to do with a bracket but seem to think that was identified prior to my build date so may not be the same thing. Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

SNUKE 10-31-2013 05:23 AM

Re: Rattling / clicking noise in dash or steering column

Come on, you can't keep posting the exact same thing when the TSB thing has been answered twice.

I suggest the two other forums for more specific help, but I would have thought you would edit your post to reflect that the TSB details more specifically after we already covered it with the specific link.

Have you spoken to your dealer about it?

bgmills 10-31-2013 05:31 AM

Sorry Snuke. It's all new to me on here. My issue is I'm confident it's not related to the TSB as the TSB covers a metal rattle noise (which I've seen a video of) and it's not that. I was more hoping that someone may have come across it so i could point the dealer in the right direction. From previous dealings with some of the dealers they tend not to be very interested unless you can point them in the right direction.

SNUKE 10-31-2013 06:09 AM

Yeah I just wanted to point out to others that the TSB side is already covered so we don't yet another answer about it again.

When trying to problem solve, and provide info to a dealer, the more specific you can be, the better.

Does it happen all of the time, if not, are there sure fire ways you can replicate it?
If you can say that it will always do it when X happens, it helps give an idea of what may be happening.

dwright2323 11-01-2013 07:50 PM

I am having the same problem. I took it to the dealer and I do not have the bracket that the TSB refers to. It is in the same area as the TSB. Right behind the steering column. Rattling, buzzing noise sounds. Sound is sometimes constant sometimes quiet. Wind seems to affect it. Have heard it at low speeds, high speeds, and sometimes bumps. Definitely sounds like a lose bracket. The service dept. rode with me and of course we could not get it to make the noise.

bill_de 11-01-2013 07:54 PM

Jeep should supply a tech with each vehicle. As long as there is a tech in the Jeep, there is never a problem. :)

---

donuts 04-06-2014 07:48 PM

I have a 2013 with same problem - rattle /knocking noise right behind the instrument cluster. Occurs at speeds over 65 on flat straight highway. does not occur when driving at lower speeds and on bumpy roads

Roger Ramjet 04-07-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwright2323 (Post 922344)
I am having the same problem. I took it to the dealer and I do not have the bracket that the TSB refers to. It is in the same area as the TSB. Right behind the steering column. Rattling, buzzing noise sounds. Sound is sometimes constant sometimes quiet. Wind seems to affect it. Have heard it at low speeds, high speeds, and sometimes bumps. Definitely sounds like a lose bracket. The service dept. rode with me and of course we could not get it to make the noise.

I have no idea if what you are hearing is the same as what I had in my 2012, but just in case, have them check the clock spring module at the end of the steering column. When they were diagnosing mine, the mechanic drove my vehicle around with the steering column free of the vehicle and held between his legs before he was finally able to isolate the problem to the clock spring. They replaced it and I never had another rattle. Worth checking if they've checked everything else.

mattw1992 05-03-2014 07:56 AM

Having this noise too. Build date also July 13. Found a solution?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

bgmills 05-03-2014 08:01 PM

Yeah ended up being the screw that holds the speedo surround was loose.

Dealer tightened and it seemed to fix.

thommo18 05-11-2014 04:19 AM

I have a my-14 GC limited with a rattle/buzz? That happens@ mainly highway speeds, but will also happen as low as 60-80km/hr.
Dealer won't take it on the hwy... So therefore won't replicate the noise!!
Tearing my hair out trying to identify this issue... Any ideas anyone?
My jeep doesn't have the tab near steering column....

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

G6JET 05-11-2014 06:02 AM

[QUOTE=thommo18;1020394]I have a my-14 GC limited with a rattle/buzz? That happens@ mainly highway speeds, but will also happen as low as 60-80km/hr.
Dealer won't take it on the hwy... So therefore won't replicate the noise!!
Tearing my hair out trying to identify this issue... Any ideas anyone?
My jeep doesn't have the tab near steering column....

Climb under the car and check the the heat shield is not touching on the chassis rail. Had a similar noise in mine dealer could not find problem, I found the problem by accident while fitting side steps, bent heat shield away from rail and have been rattle free for 8 months.