Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   2014 Grand Cherokee - Collison warming system with braking (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/2014-grand-cherokee-collison-warming-system-with-braking-67367.html)

MajorTom 10-31-2013 12:05 PM

2014 Grand Cherokee - Collison warming system with braking

Don't see a thread for this but could have missed it. Anyone with a 2014 with the collision warning with braking activate when there was nothing around?

Mine did this morning on wet asphalt. Scared the dickens out if me. I have had it go off in traffic but nothing as hard as this. Usually it's like a sudden tap on the brakes. This time it was like I had slammed them on. The jeep skidded on the pavement it braked so hard. I got the nice read brake and chime as in the past but this was not what I consider normal.

I don't have a later build with the stop option but it sure tried. Beginning to think this thing is possessed! I disabled (unchecked it on the radio) and took it in. Still shaking a bit from it.

Baalic 10-31-2013 12:54 PM

Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee - Collison warming system with braking

I've never had it do something with nothing around, but the first time it actually hit the brakes did kinda scare me a little. I was use to it flashing "brake" at me, but apparently I wasn't fast enough and it hit the brakes and made some awful sound, almost grinding sound that I can only attribute to the ABS trying to regulate brake pressure... Though it has never made that sound even under extremely hard braking conditions, only when it triggers the collision mitigation...

MajorTom 10-31-2013 02:07 PM

Yeah, first time was an eye opener but nothing like today. At least the first time someone pulled out in front of me and it was a bit surprising.

This was totally different. Slammed the brakes on hard enough to cause a slight skid on the wet pavement. ABS chattered for a good 5 seconds as I was taken by surprise since there was nothing there even remotely to hit (leaf maybe falling off of a tree). I stopped and pulled over (changed to clean underwear (figuratively of course). Walked around the jeep and saw nothing blocking any of the sensors. After my heart went back into my chest I disabled the option in the radio and called the dealer. They pulled several codes but nothing that seemed apparent to have caused this.

cherryredjeep 10-31-2013 03:04 PM

I get this all the time on my 13,same road same bend in road.every time its at a bend in the road. i think when its looking ahead and sees a solid object not moving [like a tree] it goes into panic mode.i think i read in the OM you change the setting from near to far.

MajorTom 10-31-2013 03:51 PM

Mine is set to near. Figured far was to far!

jeepman917 11-04-2013 06:36 AM

Major... happened to me two months ago and not since. Day after, I received a few messages... Service 4 wheel drive system, ACC not available, and it shut traction control off... they replaced the 4 wheel drive module. Related? Dont know... Perhaps you are also experiencing the ABS issue.. dont know...

MajorTom 11-04-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepman917 (Post 923491)
Major... happened to me two months ago and not since. Day after, I received a few messages... Service 4 wheel drive system, ACC not available, and it shut traction control off... they replaced the 4 wheel drive module. Related? Dont know... Perhaps you are also experiencing the ABS issue.. dont know...

Don't know yet. Goes to dealer tomorrow. Tech is in from Detroit to give it a once over.

MajorTom 11-09-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorTom (Post 924040)
Don't know yet. Goes to dealer tomorrow. Tech is in from Detroit to give it a once over.

Tech found the camera to be out of alignment and pointed too high. It has been adjusted so hopefully that fixes the issue unless it has something to do with the ABS recall coming later this month.

brianw8602 11-21-2013 10:07 AM

Major Tom. Interested in knowing if this fixes your problem. Mine works rather randomly. Picked up a manhole cover the other day. Twice has detected vehicles turning in front of me, but only when they are well clear. Sporadic activation if at all other times. Don't trust it at all right now. Have a service appointment scheduled for next week.

Thanks,Brian

MajorTom 11-21-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianw8602 (Post 933639)
Major Tom. Interested in knowing if this fixes your problem. Mine works rather randomly. Picked up a manhole cover the other day. Twice has detected vehicles turning in front of me, but only when they are well clear. Sporadic activation if at all other times. Don't trust it at all right now. Have a service appointment scheduled for next week. Thanks,Brian

So far so good. I have only had one activation since the adjustment and it may have been warranted as I was changing lanes to exit the interstate and the guy in front if me stopped short and it activated. Other than that no other 'random' activations

brianw8602 11-24-2013 07:40 PM

Good to know. Hopefully mine is an easy fix.

brianw8602 11-27-2013 10:51 PM

Just picked up my 2014 GC after it being in the shop for 2 days. Complaints were: Collision Avoidance not working, iPhone will not stay connected longer than 20 minutes, rattle in right rear door when closing, rear hatch handle loose, chrome around left taillight loose, loud clunk when shifting back into drive after towing in neutral, both mirror warning lights illuminated at the same time for approximately 15 minutes without any vehicles being in close proximity.

Collision Avoidance still not working, iPhone not even recognized now, rattle still in the door, latch still loose, chrome around left taillight tightened.

The following updates/solutions were performed that were supposed to fix the problems:

N55 recall to fix Collision Avoidance issue. Doesnt seem to have worked.

RRT 13-071 for the iPhone connection. Did not work.

Dealer did not want to start work on door rattle due to up coming holiday (Thanksgiving) as it would take quite some time to complete. Had to order a new rear hatch handle. Waiting on parts for that.

Was told that the "clunk" sound was normal when shifting back into gear from neutral.

No codes or updates were found in the blind spot mirror system.

So far, not very impressed with "the fix".

Brian:mad: