Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Painted wheel well trim (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/painted-wheel-well-trim-67381.html)

RI_2014 10-31-2013 05:56 PM

Painted wheel well trim

Has anyone had their black plastic trim painted to match the color of your limited?

I want to have the front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts and wheel well black trim all painted to match my billet silver 2014.

Can I have a body shop just paint the existing trim or do I have to order different parts from Mopar that aren't textured?

colby1035 10-31-2013 09:51 PM

Re: Painted wheel well trim

Should have bought an Overland.
But as you didn't, your best bet is to buy the replacement parts for an Overland.
Getting it painted will be tough to get smooth and look the same as the rest of the vehicle.

RI_2014 10-31-2013 09:56 PM

How do I find the part # and prices?

colby1035 10-31-2013 10:08 PM

First try to call dealership, and see if they can find them.
Is there a mopar parts internet site? I don't know of any.

Jeep_addicted 11-04-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RI_2014 (Post 921618)
Has anyone had their black plastic trim painted to match the color of your limited?

I want to have the front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts and wheel well black trim all painted to match my billet silver 2014.

Can I have a body shop just paint the existing trim or do I have to order different parts from Mopar that aren't textured?

There have been a few folk on the forum that have colormatched that parts you are talking about.

It is labor intensive as it requires alot of sanding and a few coats of high build primer to smooth things out. It won't be cheap if you are looking for the parts to be nice and smooth.

If you don't care about the parts being smooth then it would run you less since they would just be color matching the surface with the texture intact.

Even if the purchased the smoothed parts from the dealer you would still have to have the parts painted.

So the question is do you want to a pay for sanding to replacement parts?

New parts:

Pro: Faster turn around, no sanding required
Cons: Could be costly as the total or for all the plastics could approach $1200 with shipping.

Use existing parts:

Pro: Cheaper because you are using existing parts, you won't have extra parts laying around.
Con: You will be without your car for a longer period of time since the parts will need to be removed to be worked on.

DAVY27 11-04-2013 11:21 AM

any reputable body shop can paint any of those parts. NO need to buy any replacement parts.

RI_2014 11-04-2013 10:51 PM

Both body shops I spoke to today, told me to buy the parts and then get them painted... $$$$$$

Just4jeeps can get the parts, but still $1000 to $1500 for parts then need to add in paint and labor!

Both places that looked at it said it would never look fully smooth.

Scottina06 11-04-2013 11:02 PM

they are full of it and just didn't want to do it. 5 minutes with a power sander on each molding will take care of them. Then a simple plastic adhesion promotor and prime, pant and clear. No different than paint a new urethane bumper. Pull the moldings off and send them to scotts paint and performance....vendor here on the forum.

DAVY27 11-04-2013 11:08 PM

the replacement parts Im assuming are direct from Jeep which are already painted?(for Overlands?)

What about going to the dealer's body shop?

RI_2014 11-04-2013 11:08 PM

I have a few different places to go still, but I agree with you Scott.... Isn't like crazy texture I have seen before....

RI_2014 11-04-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVY27 (Post 924135)
the replacement parts Im assuming are direct from Jeep which are already painted?(for Overlands?)

What about going to the dealer's body shop?

The dealer or just4jeeps can't order them painted... Or that is what I have been told.

DAVY27 11-04-2013 11:13 PM

x2 what Scottie said. Shipping might be a problem with the bigger pieces but any piece that you want just send em to Scott Paint and Performance.

e