Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Technical Tips/DIY/How-To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/)
-   -   Best way to clean engine compartment? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/best-way-to-clean-engine-compartment-67460.html)

Triplecrown 11-02-2013 02:44 PM

Best way to clean engine compartment?

Hello-

I would like to clean my engine compartment. Can I just power wash it at the car wash? Is there anything I need to cover up or protect? What is the best way to spiff up my engine compartment? Any tips/advice is appreciated!!

I just do not want to harm anything under the hood.

dr.lee.baugh 11-02-2013 04:01 PM

Re: Best way to clean engine compartment?

The safest way to do it is by hand - no power washing, just time and elbow grease.

You can carefully spray with a power washer, but you'll have to cover up all of the electrical connections and fuse boxes with plastic to protect them.

Boomer914 12-19-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triplecrown (Post 922730)
Hello-

I would like to clean my engine compartment. Can I just power wash it at the car wash? Is there anything I need to cover up or protect? What is the best way to spiff up my engine compartment? Any tips/advice is appreciated!!

ive sprayed that engine down multiple times after offroading with mud and water all in there. no issues. the only way to get confidence is to do it. just dont use the high pressure when you squeeze while real close. just be smart. ive sprayed down the whole thing pretty hardcore so i doubt you will mess it up. dont listen to me ITS WATER. water ruins everything!!!!

Band1t 02-11-2014 10:08 AM

Easiest way is to throw some Armour all on the plastics

jlewissystem 02-11-2014 11:52 AM

There should be a few write-ups on this. Personally, I take time: cover the PCM cover/remove any air filters. I use a pump sprayer filled with a simple green mix. Spray everything, allow to soak for 15 mins, then rinse with a hose. Repeat again, scrub if necessary. Allow to air dry. Use some Meguires Natural shine or simar to get the gloss look. Personally, I wouldn't spray n wash the engine. Just my opinion.

lstowell 02-12-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triplecrown (Post 922730)
Hello-

The car wash power washer wouldn't have anywhere near the pressure of a home power washer [which can do damage if not careful].

I cleaned the engine compartment for over a decade using the coin op washers... I usually leave the engine running to keep it hot as I'm doing it. Although I suppose it is possible to damage the exhaust manifold, I typically just avoid getting too close to it.

Don't aim the spray at the intake, or the back end of the electrical connectors, but I regularly washed the engine control computer box with no ill effects.

Should you hear your engine stutter while washing, get the spray out of there in a hurry. Never happened to me, but if you are that nervous, ask your dealer's mechanics.