Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Cruise Control - Issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/cruise-control-issues-67470.html)

Jjhohan 11-02-2013 07:15 PM

Cruise Control - Issues

Diesel Laredo 2014

Issue:

cruise cuts out at random times...and cannot be renabled....car has to be stopped engine off and then back on again.

Second visit to dealers booked in next week.

issue?:

How does your GC cruise perform when encountering a long steep highway descent...does it brake and hold the set cruise speed...or does the speed increase way over set speed?

If I encounter a subtle slope on a highway the cruise holds speed constant....but the steep longer descents speed increases by a huge amount..as if no braking is engaged...Is this normal???!

JeepyTime 11-02-2013 11:09 PM

Re: Cruise Control - Issues

I don't have the problem with cruise control cutting out at random times but it does not hold the set speed going down a steep slope. I guess 2-3 mph is fairly normal but my gc is going 5-6 mph over the set speed. That is the difference between a ticket. I have a feeling the dealership would just say "this is normal".

offroader 11-02-2013 11:18 PM

Mine might go five over, I've never had cruise control hit the brakes.

SW03ES 11-03-2013 12:03 PM

The cruise control will not hit the brakes, it holds the speed with engine braking, but thats all it can do. You can try downshifting with the cruise engaged to see if that will help, but no non-adaptive cruise system will apply the brakes. Even adaptive cruise wouldn't in that situation I don't think.

I would recommend in steep descent situations coming out of cruise and taking over control of the speed yourself.

As to it cutting out, that happened on my 2011 twice and both times the switch assembly on the steering wheel was replaced. Obviously the assembly is different on the 2014s...

bill_de 11-03-2013 12:17 PM

From the owner's manual;

"On steep hills, a greater speed loss or gain may occur so
it may be preferable to drive without Electronic Speed
Control."

---

banjonut 11-03-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjhohan (Post 922858)
Diesel Laredo 2014 Issue: cruise cuts out at random times...and cannot be renabled....car has to be stopped engine off and then back on again. Second visit to dealers booked in next week. issue?: How does your GC cruise perform when encountering a long steep highway descent...does it brake and hold the set cruise speed...or does the speed increase way over set speed? If I encounter a subtle slope on a highway the cruise holds speed constant....but the steep longer descents speed increases by a huge amount..as if no braking is engaged...Is this normal???!

I've not had the problem of cruise cutting out. It works almost flawlessly. I have the adaptive cruise. I have had a good deal of experience on long steep hills. The cruise will NOT activate the brake. Will only downshift, but there is only so much braking that can be done by downshifting, especially as the speed goes up. It is still up to the driver to slow the behemoth down.

SW03ES 11-03-2013 12:30 PM

For instance we take a trip to southern WV where I'm from a couple times a year. There are a lot of up and down grades on 64 through the mountains culminating in the biggest, a 5 mile 7% grade as you come over Sandstone Mountain which also has a couple of fairly sharp turns. I've driven up and down that hill in many different cars. The Jeep is so heavy you cannot maintain your speed going down using just engine braking, you have to use the brakes. In the Lexus I can maintain my speed all the way down without having to use the brakes, as has been the case with previous cars. In my old Explorer I needed the brakes too. BUT...even in cars I know it will hold the speed I take it out of cruise. I just don't think barreling down a 7% grade at 80MPH in cruise is a good idea.

The Jeep is a HEAVY vehicle.

Jjhohan 11-03-2013 04:34 PM

Thanks to all :).... its clear that Braking does not occur.

Just got to get the intermittent issues fixed.