Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Tuners! What octane is best (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/tuners-what-octane-is-best-67474.html)

kapytan83 11-02-2013 08:37 PM

Tuners! What octane is best
 
I just recently installed magnaflow muffler to my 05 4.7L. I have a cai and Hypertech programmer that I used to run on 87oct tune. But after installing the muffler I wanted to try out the 91oct tune. I almost prefer the 87tune as it seems like it runs better with that tune, the shifts don't feel as nice, I had about a 1/10 of a tank left of 87oct and filled with rest with 91 could that be why? Does anyone else prefer the lower tunes? For reasons other that gas prices.

Strongjeff 11-03-2013 10:11 AM

Re: Tuners! What octane is best
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kapytan83 (Post 922890)
I just recently installed magnaflow muffler to my 05 4.7L. I have a cai and Hypertech programmer that I used to run on 87oct tune. But after installing the muffler I wanted to try out the 91oct tune. I almost prefer the 87tune as it seems like it runs better with that tune, the shifts don't feel as nice, I had about a 1/10 of a tank left of 87oct and filled with rest with 91 could that be why? Does anyone else prefer the lower tunes? For reasons other that gas prices.

IDK, I have the same programmer on my 3.7. it seems to love the premium fuel (93 here). runs better and the shifts are fast. premium is 3.49$ here in Campbell

kapytan83 11-03-2013 11:45 AM

Yeah hmmm maybe it's the low premium here in Vancouver. Had 1/10 89 and then 40Liters 91. Gonna try and find higher octane (won't be a issue) see if it helps or I'm going back to 87/89

Strongjeff 11-14-2013 08:35 AM

Re: Tuners! What octane is best
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kapytan83 (Post 923118)
Yeah hmmm maybe it's the low premium here in Vancouver. Had 1/10 89 and then 40Liters 91. Gonna try and find higher octane (won't be a issue) see if it helps or I'm going back to 87/89

did you find the high grade fuel yet, if so how'd she run?

kapytan83 11-14-2013 09:36 AM

Haven't loaded 93 yet but getting from shell station 91 as it has no ethinol.. Where is Campbell?

Strongjeff 11-14-2013 08:00 PM

Re: Tuners! What octane is best
 
Kentucky, USA

kapytan83 11-16-2013 01:53 PM

Hey have you done any extended drives, say like 16 hour drive on the 91 tune? If so how did it go? Have a long drive coming up heading up north through mountain road (Canada) and wanna know what tune would best suit this trip

Strongjeff 11-16-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kapytan83 (Post 931258)
Hey have you done any extended drives, say like 16 hour drive on the 91 tune? If so how did it go? Have a long drive coming up heading up north through mountain road (Canada) and wanna know what tune would best suit this trip

I have done an 11hr drive /800 miles one way to visit family on the premium tune and get an average of 25-28mpg. I have seen a peak of 34mpg rolling thru indianappolis at sixty mph. I get about 23mpg thru the hills in kentucky up into indiana. This is on the 91 octane tune plus all the mods and the tires aired up to 40psi

kapytan83 11-16-2013 02:37 PM

Sick thanks! The more northern I go the cheaper and better the gas as it gets into oil fields so I'm gonna keep at 91 and let u know how it goes

Strongjeff 11-16-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kapytan83 (Post 931277)
Sick thanks! The more northern I go the cheaper and better the gas as it gets into oil fields so I'm gonna keep at 91 and let u know how it goes

No problem

EtherealPonx 12-04-2013 12:29 PM

Re: Tuners! What octane is best
 
Hey Guys, just installed the 93 Octane tune with Superchips Tuner. Running what we call 98 'Super' fuel here, I think this maps to the 93 Octane fuel in the states. Well performance wise the difference is beyond noticeable, but I did realise the tune does run the rev limiter past the 'red' zone, to quite a high RPM.

Will try some of the other advanced features like torque management and shift points, anyone have any background on these?

Strongjeff 12-04-2013 01:42 PM

Re: Tuners! What octane is best
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EtherealPonx (Post 940243)
Hey Guys, just installed the 93 Octane tune with Superchips Tuner. Running what we call 98 'Super' fuel here, I think this maps to the 93 Octane fuel in the states. Well performance wise the difference is beyond noticeable, but I did realise the tune does run the rev limiter past the 'red' zone, to quite a high RPM.

Will try some of the other advanced features like torque management and shift points, anyone have any background on these?

if it will let you, back the torque management off down to like 5-10% and you will see how well the trans performs


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community