Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Song folder playlist (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/song-folder-playlist-67481.html)

WATacoRider 11-03-2013 03:35 AM

Song folder playlist

I finally used my USB port today for music. I had a bunch of different albums in their own folders. But the player seems to play them in title alphabetical order for all the songs.

How do I set it up to play my albums in order?

jacko15 11-03-2013 11:29 AM

Re: Song folder playlist

1 Attachment(s)
Select browse, then browse music by:

bill_de 11-03-2013 11:43 AM

Hey Jack,

If you were a nice guy you would post the entire manual ...

...and by doing so answer almost all questions. :lol:

---

jacko15 11-03-2013 12:09 PM

Bill, you know I think I've posted the .pdf file at least a half dozen times already. Scott's gonna start charging me for server space! :eek:

j.fiore 11-08-2013 03:20 PM

I am having the same issue as the OP. It has nothing to do with the image in the response. I know how to browse through my usb stick. I have all of my songs organized into folders. There is a folder for each artist, and inside those folders, is a folder with the album. EX: Browse>Led Zeppelin>Led Zeppelin 1> tracks...

The issue is as follows:

Say I want to listen to the Led Zeppelin 1 album. I go to my folder, find track 1 and hit enter. The normal understanding is that after track 1 plays, it should go to track 2 since we are in the same folder. Well what happens is it will go to another folder, say pink floyd, for 1 or 2 songs, then come back to the lep zeppelin folder.

It drives me insane that in order for me to listen to an album in order I have to keep browsing to the next song. SHUFFLE IS NOT ON, before you suggest that, but it acts as if it is.

It doesnt do this on all folders. Some folders, such as Led Zeppelin 2, play through no problem. If I hit the track que button, it shows the tracks in que, and they are just as jumbled. It makes no sense. The tracks go from zeppelin to pink floyd back to zeppelin, then to jack white, and then off to albert king. When I browse, everything is exactly like it should be, but if I just let it play it follows the track que, then there is no order at all. Turning shuffle on mixes the order up even more, and turning shuffle off brings it back to the original jumpbled mess.

I had all my music on an SD card and switched it to a USB drive because it was doing the same thing and I thought there was an issue with the SD card.

Hopefully this makes sense... any thoughts?

j.fiore 11-08-2013 05:34 PM

Ok, after posting I started experimenting since this is really buggin me. I think I figured it out.

Originally my folders were like this:

>Artist A (folder)
>>random track 1 (file)
>>>>Album A(sub-folder)
>>>>>>Track 1 (file)
>>>>>>Track 2 (file)
>Artist B(folder)
>>>>Album A(sub-folder)
>>>>>>Track 1 (file)
>>>>>>Track 2 (file)
etc...

The track que seems to go through and index all folders, then subfolders. Ths means

If you only have folders, no subfolders, then the track que will be in order. Such as this:

>Artist A random tracks (folder)
>>random track 1 (file)
>Artist A album A (folder)
>>track 1 (file)
>>track 2 (file)
>Artist B Album A (folder)
>>track 1 (file)
>>track 2 (file)

Anyways, to the OP and anyone else, do this, and it should help.

Also, for the record, yes, I have music organization OCD. LOL

jacko15 11-08-2013 08:57 PM

I guess I never had a problem because each album is a separate folder, so when I pick an album it just plays the entire folder in order. If I pick an artist it gets interesting because some of the artists play on different albums with different artists, so it might jump around a little chasing that artist.

WATacoRider 11-12-2013 01:36 AM

On my old vehicle, I had a multi-cd player built in the deck. It played MP3s. So I could jam 4-5 albums into a CD.

To keep the albums organized, I just put them in numerical order.

01 Album
02 Album
03 Album

And so forth.

Well, with the thumb drive, I tried to do that, but that didn't work, so I put them by Artist.

-Artist
--Album
--Album

-Artist
--Album
--Album

I want it to play in a certain order that I arranged. I don't really care which artist it is. I just rather have the proper order for the albums play for that Artist, then onto the next Artist's album order.

So how and if I can even do this setup?

Born2golf 11-12-2013 05:36 PM

I had a conversation with uConnect a few months ago and they stated that there is a limit to how many folders the system could handle (250 I think, but don't quote me on that). AND that they should not go too deep (I think only 2 or 3 levels). Their logic is that a flat files system is faster and easier to index/traverse.

Theoretically, this is true, assuming you have your MP3 ID3Tags are all clean and accurate (including track numbers). If the tags are accurate, you would not ever need to sort by folder at all, since the artist or album buttons should get you to the content you want.

Playlists are definitely the way to go, especially if you want to play content from various artists or albums, but take a lot of time on the front end to build. If you are interested, Here is a link to a recent post that outlines a way to create the playlists and sync them to your card: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/album...tml#post927789 (look for the part about software called "doubletwist")

scott3r 11-17-2013 10:06 AM

When I tried \<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title>, Uconnect did nothing, the SD never indexed and I couldn't play anything.

Next I tried \<Album Artist> - <Album>\<Title> and it works pretty well, but the songs are in alphabetical order.

Now I am trying \<Album Artist> - <Album>\<Track#:2> <Title> on a 64GB card....

I am in the process of fiddling around with this. Note I am using MediaMonkey to sync to the SD card, it makes it really easy to pick how the songs and folder structure is synced to various destinations.

Born2golf 11-26-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott3r (Post 931617)
When I tried \<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title>, Uconnect did nothing, the SD never indexed and I couldn't play anything.

Next I tried \<Album Artist> - <Album>\<Title> and it works pretty well, but the songs are in alphabetical order.

Now I am trying \<Album Artist> - <Album>\<Track#:2> <Title> on a 64GB card....

I am in the process of fiddling around with this. Note I am using MediaMonkey to sync to the SD card, it makes it really easy to pick how the songs and folder structure is synced to various destinations.

Hi Scott, I think you may be doing too much work. I don't know much about MediaMonkey (I have it but never use it). I have been transferring music to my SD card (and my phone) using doubletwist and it has been flawless. It automatically puts all the songs in the following folder structure Artist/Album/Track, so there is no folder configuration necessary. When I browse the albums in Uconnect they are listed in the appropriate order according to the embedded track number in the MP3 file. If you do not have track numbers in the ID3Tag it may default to the embedded track name or the file name for sorting (just guessing).

I just did a quick test with 2 albums in my library. One had track numbers and displayed perfectly in Uconnect, the other only had track number on 3 of the 11 tracks. When I view that album in iTunes it listed the NON-numbered tracks in alphabetical order, followed by the numbered tracks in numerical order. Which is the exact same way it appeared in UConnect as well. (I honesty would have thought it would list the numbered tracks first, but either way glad it was consistent from iTunes to UConnect)

So your alphabetical issue might lie with the ID3Tagging.

Otherwise it seems mediamonkey is doing a sufficient job of sorting the music into folders. I'll continue to advocate for doubletwist, just because there was no thought required as to the folder structure, it just did it and it worked.

Just curious, does mediamonkey re-write the playlist files to match the new folder structure once you transfer media to the SD card?

Born2golf 11-26-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WATacoRider (Post 922995)
I finally used my USB port today for music. I had a bunch of different albums in their own folders. But the player seems to play them in title alphabetical order for all the songs.

How do I set it up to play my albums in order?

Do the source MP3 files have track numbers in their ID3Tag? (does an actual track number show up when you view the song in iTunes or windows media player?)