Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Now that you got your unicorn, here is a cetane list (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/now-that-you-got-your-unicorn-here-is-a-cetane-list-67500.html)

visitador 11-03-2013 01:47 PM

Now that you got your unicorn, here is a cetane list

1 Attachment(s)
I got this from another turbo-diesel forum. Hope it helps some of you concerned about the quality of your diesel fuel. I do not have a way to verify whether that is correct.

JustinB60 11-03-2013 03:21 PM

Re: Now that you got your unicorn, here is a cetane list

Thanks for that list!

Found another link:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...21c64471c7&z=6

This is a map of "premium diesel" pumps in the northeast. Not a very comprehensive list but it shows a few stations.

Also I found a typed out list of cetane values on another site which seems to jive with yours (although I haven't checked it number by number yet).

Love's 40
Pilot 40
Valero 40
Sheetz 40
Flying J 40
Holiday Stations 40-43
HESS 40-45
Husky 40-45
BP 40-42,47
Exxon/Mobile 43-46
Sunoco Gold 45-50
Shell 46
Sinclair 46
PetroCanada 47-51
ConocoPhillips through the 76 stations (California) 47-53
Chevron 49-51
BP (Amoco branded) 51

Zybane 11-03-2013 05:41 PM

Hard to find a "premium diesel" station around me. I understand the Amoco BP is actually sold at BP stations, and not Amoco? And that it will say Amoco diesel at the pump?

JustinB60 11-03-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zybane (Post 923262)
Hard to find a "premium diesel" station around me. I understand the Amoco BP is actually sold at BP stations, and not Amoco? And that it will say Amoco diesel at the pump?

Unfortunately I am a newbie to all of this as well and so I can't answer your questions.

I do know, based on the information above, that I will be looking for Chevron and Shell stations when I pick up my rig until I fully understand this Cetane situation. :thumbsup:

Zybane 11-03-2013 06:00 PM

Ya, looking at the list avoid all of the truck stops/highway stop places, Walmart cheap places etc.

I have a lot of gas stations around me called "Kangaroo", but they aren't on the list.

nautiboy 11-03-2013 07:02 PM

This is interesting, according to Wikipedia

Quote:

California diesel fuel has a minimum cetane of 53

nautiboy 11-03-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautiboy (Post 923307)
This is interesting, according to Wikipedia

And in a surprise move it seems Wikipedia is correct:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/fuels/dieselspecs.pdf

visitador 11-03-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautiboy (Post 923310)
And in a surprise move it seems Wikipedia is correct: http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/fuels/dieselspecs.pdf

Thanks. That's great!

Blinker Fluid 11-04-2013 10:32 AM

You do have to remember that is isn't necessarily always the case. It is pretty complex as not all brands service all their stations. Marathon is the primary supplier of all fuels around here and each station adds their own addiitve package to the fuel. Rarely do you see a company doing end-to-end refining to delivery nationwide.

visitador 11-04-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blinker Fluid (Post 923576)
You do have to remember that is isn't necessarily always the case. It is pretty complex as not all brands service all their stations. Marathon is the primary supplier of all fuels around here and each station adds their own addiitve package to the fuel. Rarely do you see a company doing end-to-end refining to delivery nationwide.

Thanks for the insight. Since you are one of the "insiders," do you know if at least for California, the CARB minimum cetane requirement is uniform across all brands sold in California?

bill_de 11-04-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blinker Fluid (Post 923576)

How are these additives supplied to the dealers.? I know it's been awhile, but I ran stations under a few different brands and neither the truckers or the dealers added anything to the gas. What was put on the truck at the depot was what went into the customer's car.

Hess took samples every month to make sure it was their gas in the tanks and it wasn't tampered with. My former neighbor hauled gas until he retired 10 years ago. He never heard of anybody adding anything to the gas.

I'm not saying it isn't happening, but it seems strange that a commodity that has to meet certain standards relies on the retailer to ensure the components in the final product.

---

Blinker Fluid 11-04-2013 10:56 AM

(Insider status doesn't have any bearing on this one, but I have owned diesels since '99 ;) )

Since that is a state level requirement, that means any diesel sold inside the state for on-road use, no matter what brand, must meet those standards. My guess is the refineries there are tuned for 53+ octane. Those refinieries outside the state that aren't tuned for 53+ can't sell there such as Marathon Detroit (I am guessing on that refinery as I see Cetane 40 on many of the pumps around here...).