Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Auxiliary Heater? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/auxiliary-heater-67501.html)

walt_mink 11-03-2013 02:57 PM

Auxiliary Heater?

Hey all,

Can anyone speak to the startup heat situation on the SFU? I'm glad to have remote start, but most diesels won't generate any heat until you do a bit of driving, so I'm not sure what it will do besides warm my hands and rear.

My VW TDI has an electric auxiliary heater that starts my windshield defrosting. Anything like that aboard the new toy?

Sent from my Nokia 1020 using Tapatalk

5.7 My Hemi 11-03-2013 03:02 PM

Re: Auxiliary Heater?

Quote:

Originally Posted by walt_mink (Post 923206)
Hey all,

Can anyone speak to the startup heat situation on the SFU? I'm glad to have remote start, but most diesels won't generate any heat until you do a bit of driving, so I'm not sure what it will do besides warm my hands and rear.

My VW TDI has an electric auxiliary heater that starts my windshield defrosting. Anything like that aboard the new toy?

Sent from my Nokia 1020 using Tapatalk

Looking at your order info you seem to have had choice issues like me; except I'm still trying to make up my mind. By the way you have the heated steering wheel and the heated seats if that helps with what you're asking.

walt_mink 11-04-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.7 My Hemi (Post 923209)
Looking at your order info you seem to have had choice issues like me; except I'm still trying to make up my mind. By the way you have the heated steering wheel and the heated seats if that helps with what you're asking.

Heh - yeah well, I had some extra time to think about it so my mind kept changing. :D

Heated seats and steering wheel are nice, but be a (very) lazy person, I would like the defroster to get a head start. Maybe I'll have to figure out some way to get 120 out to the curb so that I can use the block heater.

Hammerhead 11-04-2013 10:42 PM

The 2014 owners manual posted online only mentions a single 10-amp fuse for the cabin heater (Diesel engine only)

The 2008 CRDs have 3 50amp fuses for the PTC (passenger temp. control) that are supposed to blow warm air into the cabin from a cold startup. It's rarely below freezing around here so I can't tell you if they make a big difference or not.

walt_mink 11-05-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead (Post 924113)
The 2014 owners manual posted online only mentions a single 10-amp fuse for the cabin heater (Diesel engine only)

The 2008 CRDs have 3 50amp fuses for the PTC (passenger temp. control) that are supposed to blow warm air into the cabin from a cold startup. It's rarely below freezing around here so I can't tell you if they make a big difference or not.

Huh. I can't imagine 10 amps doing much good for cabin heat. That said, it's a bit much for something like a controller.

Maybe I can find a wiring diagram somewhere ...