Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Retrofit Parking Sensors Laredo ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/retrofit-parking-sensors-laredo-67505.html)

Jjhohan 11-03-2013 05:17 PM

Retrofit Parking Sensors Laredo ?

Anyone had reverse parking sensors fitted to their Laredo ?

Almost had an incident yesterday and whilst it looks weeks away still till the reverse camera gets fitted then perhaps getting some sensors fitted is a good idea.

Just wondered if it were possible ..if it worked ok etc ...and how much it could cost.?

Assuming that its not possible to use OEM parts ?

TIA

PePe 11-03-2013 05:54 PM

Re: Retrofit Parking Sensors Laredo ?

Hi,

I have fitted parking sensors to my Laredo.

I brought some cheap ones from ebay, they came with a hole saw of the correct size.

They were easy to fit:
- Drill the bumper - either take some measurements of a car with them or look at some picture and estimate location.

- run the wires through a grommet into the storage area (I used an existing grommet).

- I put the controller under the boot floor and I put the alarm unit under the back of the rear seat.

They work very well and cost less than $20.

I picked up power and earth from my trailer plug, plus I added a switch in the circuit so I can switch them off when I'm towing something.

Jjhohan 11-03-2013 06:11 PM

Cant argue with the price !
Would you remember what brand/model you bought/link?...cheers

Was just looking at the mopar site and just for jeeps site....it looks like the mopar add on kits simply beeps when close to objects as well so no advantage going OEM there...considering the price difference.!

https://www.mopar.com.au/Pages/Store...x?p=2&f=14&c=1

Also looking for white...how does the colour match?

PePe 11-03-2013 09:31 PM

Hi

I wanted white ones, so I ordered these

B20E NEW CAR Parking 4 Sensors Backup Radar Rear System Alarm Anti Frost 3COLORS | eBay

I'm pretty happy with them.

A10-6 11-17-2013 07:43 AM

We made the mistake of ordering the car with front and rear sensors expecting them to be the genuine Jeep product and integrated with the Uconnect as on the Limited.

I think the dealer must have bought the $20 specials off Ebay and charged us full price.

Not wishing to knock the cheap product but it was not what we expected or paid for. There is no volume control, no visual indication and the off switch only seems to work on the front sensors.

If we had realised the poor sensors and camera they were going to fit, we would have gone with the Limited but we were assured that would be the same and clearly they are not.

I think PePe had the right idea.

Jjhohan 11-18-2013 05:39 AM

Im planning on fitting my own sensors such as Pepe has done...and soon (probably just the rear)...still waiting on the cr*p camera we all get to be fitted....waiting now for nearly 6 weeks.

Its like the Laredo owners are getting punished for picking the cheaper Model...I don't get it anyway...I remember the dealer saying to me....oh "we don't sell many Laredos..its our entry model"....its like a class below or something lol.....yes if I had understood fully about all these issues...Id have gone with the Limited as well...or perhaps something else.

Before I fit the sensors...Ive got to get the major recall done and also the Gearbox TSB and then still the cruise control issues!...its booked in..but unsurprisingly the dealer is busy with all these TSB's and recalls.. cant get it done till second week in December
Somewhere imbetween the car is getting tinted.