Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/dual-battery-my14-overland-crd-67562.html)

Berg570 11-05-2013 06:23 AM

Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD
 
After a little advice please regarding second battery install for the GC Overland. So far options are either full second battery install or install hardware (isolator etc) to run 'Blue Apple' Thumper transportable type pack off of main battery with lead and Anderson plug running to rear cargo area.

Has anyone gone down either path already with a 2014 GC. The suppliers of the Blue Apple were a little apprehensive (to say the least) to do the install on the GC due to location of the main battery and associated issues 'with the amount of electrics the new Jeep has'. Suggested going back to dealer to come up with a plan.

Can anyone in Adelaide recommend any auto electrician that might have some experience with later model GC's for this type of work, or possibly suggest best way to go between second battery install V the portable Thumper pack option. Extra power is needed to run a 40 L fridge and a few lights etc. Had the second battery in previous 4WD, but I like the idea of transporting the power source from vehicle to vehicle when selling.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

SNUKE 11-05-2013 08:34 AM

Re: Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD
 
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/the-m...ead-63061.html

Berg570 11-05-2013 03:31 PM

Re: Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD
 
Thanks very much Snuke, I was obviously looking in the wrong threads!! :(

Matty470 11-09-2013 02:34 AM

Re: Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD
 
You could also have a look in this thread.

WK2 dual battery system. Interested? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR

AZhiCntry 11-09-2013 10:05 AM

Re: Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berg570 (Post 924244)
After a little advice please regarding second battery install for the GC Overland. So far options are either full second battery install or install hardware (isolator etc) to run 'Blue Apple' Thumper transportable type pack off of main battery with lead and Anderson plug running to rear cargo area.

Has anyone gone down either path already with a 2014 GC. The suppliers of the Blue Apple were a little apprehensive (to say the least) to do the install on the GC due to location of the main battery and associated issues 'with the amount of electrics the new Jeep has'. Suggested going back to dealer to come up with a plan.

Can anyone in Adelaide recommend any auto electrician that might have some experience with later model GC's for this type of work, or possibly suggest best way to go between second battery install V the portable Thumper pack option. Extra power is needed to run a 40 L fridge and a few lights etc. Had the second battery in previous 4WD, but I like the idea of transporting the power source from vehicle to vehicle when selling.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Have you considered making up your own portable light weight 12V lithium battery pack using a 12v/12v DC charger to keep it charged using the rear cargo 12v outlet. Simple to hook up and very portable. 12v light weight lithium batteries for automotive use are available in a wide variety of amp hr ratings.

Berg570 11-11-2013 06:04 AM

Re: Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty470 (Post 927027)
You could also have a look in this thread.

WK2 dual battery system. Interested? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR

Thanks Matty, have had a look at this and considering similar set up as an option.

Have you considered making up your own portable light weight 12V lithium battery pack using a 12v/12v DC charger to keep it charged using the rear cargo 12v outlet. Simple to hook up and very portable. 12v light weight lithium batteries for automotive use are available in a wide variety of amp hr ratings.
__________________

Thanks DJ, yes, looking at this set up as option also. Like the idea of a portable system this time, rather than installed second battery set up which goes when the vehicle is sold.

John47 11-11-2013 06:06 PM

Re: Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD
 
I wanted a removable system this time as well, so I modified the drawer module from our previous Patrol (would have been quicker to build a new one). The module now replaces the lift up lid in the back - fixed down to the spare tyre retaining bolt.
The Engel 40l fits on a fridge slide with the second battery mounted behind it on the same base.
Charging is via a Piranha isolator fitted down beside the main battery, then a 6 B&S cable to the rear with an Anderson plug. The cable provides power to a DC/DC charger clipped to the top of the battery box.
This has worked well for my needs, over 18 months and more than 30k towing our van.
Takes minutes only to fit or strip out when we are not going away.
Variations on this by other owners have been described on quite a few threads here and on the Ausjeep forum.

jorn 12-12-2013 01:23 AM

Re: Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD
 
any updates? photos?

keen to see why you guys have done and parts etc

Sege 01-24-2014 02:05 AM

Re: Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD
 
So I have bought a Thumper Battery Pack (had one with the WJ and was very pleased) though this time I am going to hardwire their charger but I need an ignition activated wire to connect to near the underseat main battery - any suggestions?

Peter.T 01-24-2014 07:23 AM

Re: Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD
 
I have fitted a 100 ah AGM battery under the passenger seat in a 2013 JGC successfully and am doing another tomorrow for a friend.
This is only possible in a non Qlft model.
If any one is interested I can post a full description and pics etc.
Pete.

Peter.T 01-25-2014 07:03 AM

Re: Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sege (Post 964634)
So I have bought a Thumper Battery Pack (had one with the WJ and was very pleased) though this time I am going to hardwire their charger but I need an ignition activated wire to connect to near the underseat main battery - any suggestions?

One of the easy places to get an ignition trigger is from the cig socket in the rear side panel. Have to remove the panel to get at it but!

Sege 01-25-2014 08:08 PM

Re: Dual battery MY14 Overland CRD
 
Ta - maybe I will leave it live with no ignition dependence.....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community