Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Side mirror replacements... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/side-mirror-replacements-6761.html)

05quadratrac 02-21-2010 03:19 AM

Side mirror replacements...

I finally got around to replacing my side mirror today, someone hit it a few weeks ago and cracked it up, I bought the glass off ebay for 18 dollars shipped, it was non heated but it turns out the heating device and "coils" are built into the backing plate, I heated up the glass, pulled it off the backing plate pretty easily and glued on the new glass and clippred the whole thing back on. It works perfect, I wasnt aware you could salvage the backing plate, clip assembly, and heating assembly, I thought it was all one peice so if anyone needs a new one just buy the glass instead of paying a few times more for the whole assembly from the dealer or a new heated glass peice.

brent 02-21-2010 11:21 AM

Re: Side mirror replacements...

What kind of glue did you use?

05quadratrac 02-21-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent (Post 155107)
What kind of glue did you use?

Silicone adhesive, its what the glass place recommended.

Scottina06 02-21-2010 01:33 PM

cool...good find!

B.P.O.D 02-22-2010 02:09 PM

any pics of the thing apart?????

NHWK05 02-22-2010 07:00 PM

Thanks, Glad to hear it, The power memory heated mirrors are not only expensive but hard to find with the memory feature on ebay.

I wanted to buy both new ones to sand and paint and i could not find any new ones with memory.

when the listing says power heated w/o memory it will no longer work with the auto tilt and memory selections right?

sorry for the Hijack.

05quadratrac 02-23-2010 05:36 PM

I should have taken pictures but if you pull your cracked mirror off from the housing (it just clips in) its basically 2 parts stuck together its the heated backing plate with the clip and the wire connected to it and the glass which is glued to the backing plate. You just heat the glass and use a puddy knife or flat head to scrape off all the broken glass, then just take the new sheet of glass and glue it right on. For non OEM heated glass on Ebay they wanted like 60 bucks, so unless your backing plate was smashed along with the glass you just need a regular sheet of glass for 18 bucks and some Silicone adhesive. Living in the city this should save me a ton of money.

05quadratrac 02-23-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 156272)
Thanks, Glad to hear it, The power memory heated mirrors are not only expensive but hard to find with the memory feature on ebay.

I wanted to buy both new ones to sand and paint and i could not find any new ones with memory.

when the listing says power heated w/o memory it will no longer work with the auto tilt and memory selections right?

sorry for the Hijack.

I dont have memory on mine so im not sure but im guessing you might be able to somehow rig the old motor and electronics inside the new ones? Then again its an gamble. Luckly just my glass was broken on mine the housing remained perfect. One good feature is the ability for the assembly to fold forward so when a car does hit it normally it will just flip forward and not break off.