Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo - Leaking Shock

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mbelcher1983 
#1 · (Edited)
I would first like to mention that I'm new to Jeep Garage and this is my first post. I apologize if my question is a repeat but I want to make sure that I'm clear.

Last weekend I purchased a ussed 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 32K miles. When I was inspecting yesterday I noticed a left rear leaking shock. I don't have the rear load leveling, just the standard shocks. I realize this will be covered under warranty but my question is whether or not the dealership with replace both shocks? I've ALWAYS replaced both together but I know how dealerships can sometimes be when it comes to warranties. From my research there was a service bulletin issued for the load leveling which requires replacing both. Anyone know about the standard shocks?

Thanks in advance for your help.

#4 ·
I'm not sure how Jeep's warranty approaches this. But, if they only cover one, I would pay to have the second one replaced. But before doing that at the dealer I would see if you could get a pair changed at an independent cheaper than paying for one at the dealer.

Hopefully, they will do both and you won't have to do any shopping.

---

#6 ·
This is the TSB I was referring to. The section in red is what I'm hoping will create enough of an argument to replace both shocks even though I don't have a load leveling suspension.

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 17-005-13
GROUP: Rear Suspension
DATE: April 03, 2013

SUBJECT:
Rattle And/Or Clunk Noise From Rear Of The Vehicle Equipped With Load Leveling Suspension
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves verifying and if necessary replacing the right and left rear shock absorbers.
MODELS:
2011-2013 WK Grand Cherokee
2011-2013 WD Durango
NOTE: This bulletin applied to vehicles equipped with Rear Load Leveling
Suspension (sales code SES) and could be combined with Normal Duty
Suspension (sales code SDA) or Sport Suspension (sales code SDE) or
Export Tuned Suspension (sales code SDM) built before September 29, 2012
(MDH0929XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Rattle and/or clunk noise from the rear of the vehicle equipped with load leveling suspension.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
2 (AR) 68087613AG Absorber, Rear Shock (Sales Code SDE
+SES) (Durango only)
2 (AR) 68069843AG Absorber, Rear Shock (Sales Code
SDA+SES) (Durango only)
2 (AR) 68069680AC Absorber, Rear Shock (Sales Code SDA or
SDM + SES) (Grand Cherokee Only
)
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Drive the vehicle between 10 mph (16 km/h) and 15 mph (24 km/h) over rough roads.
Was a rattle and/or clunk noise exhibited?
a. Yes>>> Proceed to Step #2.
b. No>>> Continue further diagnosis, this bulletin does not apply.
2. Remove and replace the right and left rear shock absorber relative to the vehicles sales code(s). Refer to the detail procedures available in Refer to the detailed procedures available in DealerCONNECT> TechCONNECT under: Service Info> 17 - Rear Suspension> Shock Absorber, Suspension> Removal / Installation.
NOTE: The left and right rear shock absorbers must be replaced at the same time.
Failure to follow this process will result in an adverse condition.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.