Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   87 vs 89 octane in 2014 V-8 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/87-vs-89-octane-in-2014-v-8-a-67632.html)

NavyDoc 11-06-2013 06:59 PM

87 vs 89 octane in 2014 V-8

I'm wondering if anyone can provide some insight to the benefits, if any, of switching to 89 octane fuel in the V-8. Fuel is pretty pricey where I am so I just wanted to get some input before I start trying it out.

Thanks in advance.

MAXGroup 11-06-2013 07:06 PM

Unless you tune the car specifically to the higher octane the benefits are marginal.
The standard factory tune theoretically can change some parameters based on fuel octane and sensors input, but with the fuel savings mode all engines lean to these days I doubt it's worth the extra cash for you.

But decide for self, as I will be doing the exact opposite and tune the car for 91 octane :-)

bill_de 11-06-2013 07:07 PM

Re: 87 vs 89 octane in 2014 V-8

There are times, during heavy acceleration, towing, hilly conditions, where the engine would typically "ping" with 87 octane.

Today's technology can deal with that by automatically retarding the timing, and maybe some other adjustments. While that prevents the ping, it means the engine is not giving you optimal performance or gas mileage.

Depending on your driving conditions you may or may not notice the difference. Since Jeep says 87 is acceptable, you might as well try it. This is one of those times you should be comparing MPGs. In some situations the savings on the price of gas may be lost in reduced efficiency.

---

NavyDoc 11-06-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 925372)
There are times, during heavy acceleration, towing, hilly conditions, where the engine would typically "ping" with 87 octane. Today's technology can deal with that by automatically retarding the timing, and maybe some other adjustments. While that prevents the ping, it means the engine is not giving you optimal performance or gas mileage. Depending on your driving conditions you may or may not notice the difference. Since Jeep says 87 is acceptable, you might as well try it. This is one of those times you should be comparing MPGs. In some situations the savings on the price of gas may be lost in reduced efficiency. ---

That's more or less what I was thinking. We've been getting around 15 MPG. Maybe a tank or 2 or 89 may give me an idea if the cost would be worth it.

Specx 11-06-2013 08:12 PM

The engine is designed for 89 octane, but will accept 87. You probably won't be able to tell the difference between the 2 and 89 is probably there to make sure the engine meet's all the numbers they advertise for towing, MPG, etc. My dealer put 87 in there when we took delivery and I've been running 89 since. I didn't notice any change and If I did, most people would say it's all in my head since I know I put different octane in the tank.

NavyDoc 11-06-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 925414)
The engine is designed for 89 octane, but will accept 87. You probably won't be able to tell the difference between the 2 and 89 is probably there to make sure the engine meet's all the numbers they advertise for towing, MPG, etc. My dealer put 87 in there when we took delivery and I've been running 89 since. I didn't notice any change and If I did, most people would say it's all in my head since I know I put different octane in the tank.

So, do you think that the MPG is higher with 89?

TurboRush 11-06-2013 08:17 PM

I agree, unless you're operating under extreme conditions (towing, high heat, high elevation, lots of climbing) that 87 is fine.

Of course I stick to 89 because I'm stuck in my ways and all my other cars take 93 so 89 is still a deal to me.

loveracing1988 11-06-2013 08:30 PM

I ran 3 tanks of 89 in my ram. I noticed zero advantage in power or mileage. The service guy I deal with has a identical truck to mine only 6 speed and he says he notices more power and mpg's with 89 vs 87. So obviously your results may vary. I know I just filled up for 3.05 for regular and the cheapest midgrade around was 3.35.

TurboRush 11-06-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveracing1988 (Post 925430)
I ran 3 tanks of 89 in my ram. I noticed zero advantage in power or mileage. The service guy I deal with has a identical truck to mine only 6 speed and he says he notices more power and mpg's with 89 vs 87. So obviously your results may vary. I know I just filled up for 3.05 for regular and the cheapest midgrade around was 3.35.

I wish, regular is 3.45 to 3.55 in NH right now... DOAH

Jim_in_PA 11-06-2013 08:51 PM

With my MY12, I run 87...never felt any need for the 89 and 89 isn't even available at Costco where I buy a lot of my gas. Generally get about 16mpg in normal rural driving and 20-23 mpg highway. I have a light foot... ;)

I think if I was going to tow for some distance, I'd tank up with 89, but otherwise, I'm happy with the less expensive fuel.

CIEGOS 11-06-2013 09:49 PM

There are two schools of thoughts on this, imo. The one I subscribe to is I purchased a $40k+ SUV and spending a little extra on a higher octane fuel shouldn't be a cost issue but a performance consideration. I mean the jeep doesn't get great mileage either way. I haven't seen a mileage difference but I have noticed the motor idle smoother and the pick up feels a little better with 89.

The other is if you don't notice the difference between 87 and 89 with and without ethanol or any combination there of, why not put in the cheapest gas. Either way it is your vehicle and the 87 certainly won't break the motor. Cheers :)

NavyDoc 11-06-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CIEGOS (Post 925484)
There are two schools of thoughts on this, imo. The one I subscribe to is I purchased a $40k+ SUV and spending a little extra on a higher octane fuel shouldn't be a cost issue but a performance consideration. I mean the jeep doesn't get great mileage either way. I haven't seen a mileage difference but I have noticed the motor idle smoother and the pick up feels a little better with 89. The other is if you don't notice the difference between 87 and 89 with and without ethanol or any combination there of, why not put in the cheapest gas. Either way it is your vehicle and the 87 certainly won't break the motor. Cheers :)

And this is why I post on this site. Thanks for the input. Cheers!