Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2014-overland-north-american-climate-control-issues-67654.html)

LaZ87 11-07-2013 10:27 AM

2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues
 
Apologies if this is a repost, but I've searched through what I could to try to find some insight on this. First time posting.

I just bought my first JGC the other day and I'm experiencing what seems to be a common problem for the Australian owners. The climate control goes wacky and blows cold on one side and hot on the other. And it blows hot when it's supposed to be on cold and vice versa.

There's a TSB for it, but it looks like it's specific to the International versions, ie Australian, etc.

Yesterday, the dealer told me that they applied an update that would fix the issue. But I'm still able to recreate the error. Nothing has changed. The dealership has documented this and they've got it again today while they "look into it."

Am I the *only* domestic owner that has had this problem? Has anybody had any luck getting it fixed? Any insight is appreciated.

kaziii 12-12-2013 02:29 PM

Re: 2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaZ87 (Post 925773)
Apologies if this is a repost, but I've searched through what I could to try to find some insight on this. First time posting.

I just bought my first JGC the other day and I'm experiencing what seems to be a common problem for the Australian owners. The climate control goes wacky and blows cold on one side and hot on the other. And it blows hot when it's supposed to be on cold and vice versa.

There's a TSB for it, but it looks like it's specific to the International versions, ie Australian, etc.

Yesterday, the dealer told me that they applied an update that would fix the issue. But I'm still able to recreate the error. Nothing has changed. The dealership has documented this and they've got it again today while they "look into it."

Am I the *only* domestic owner that has had this problem? Has anybody had any luck getting it fixed? Any insight is appreciated.

Nope only limited benefit from my first fix. Once it achieves the desired temperature it will blow cold air until the cabin temp gets below a certain temp and then it will blow hot again. So there I am traveling 2 hours in 19 degree outdoor temperature while the truck is blowing cold air.

Before the first fix, it wouldn't blow cold air period unless set on high or the engine was still warming up. So you might take it in to the dealer.

My work around has been to put the heater on high (the only way to make it stay on), set the fan to lowest setting, and aim it at my feet only. Every 15 minutes or so you turn the heat "down" to 84 at which point you will get cold air on your feet until you can tolerate turning it on high again.

Whoever designed this must have slept through the physics lecture on radiant heat. 98.6 degree person in a 72 degree car cabin traveling through 19 degree environment will shed tons of radiant heat out of the windows unless they are wearing a coat. Do you really want to wear a coat on a long trip? On/Off automatic temperature controls work in a house but not a car. Really a new idea that they have to figure out does not work in cars.

LaZ87 12-12-2013 03:00 PM

Re: 2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues
 
That's disconcerting. lol I've had this thing a month and it seems that (at least my) uConnect has a lot of issues. Lockups, screens freezing, locking me out of voice control, on occasion not coming on at all, seat heater turning on by itself in the middle of a long drive even though the uConnect swears it's not on, etc.

Everyone can't be having these issues, can they? Am I the only one that complains about it? lol Is my device faulty?

kaziii 12-12-2013 03:45 PM

Re: 2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaZ87 (Post 944315)
That's disconcerting. lol I've had this thing a month and it seems that (at least my) uConnect has a lot of issues. Lockups, screens freezing, locking me out of voice control, on occasion not coming on at all, seat heater turning on by itself in the middle of a long drive even though the uConnect swears it's not on, etc.

Everyone can't be having these issues, can they? Am I the only one that complains about it? lol Is my device faulty?

uConnect is a work in progress. Many of the problems go away after you upgrade to the latest software version. You can take it into the dealer to do this. Alternatively, you can go to Willx thread http://www.jeepgarage.org/f219/uconn...vip-66364.html to get instructions for installing and downloading the latest version yourself. Upgrading has been strongly recommended as a first course for anyone having problems. To use Willx thread, you would have to become a member of the group. I don't know if that is worth it to you.

LaZ87 12-12-2013 03:49 PM

Re: 2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues
 
Thanks for the info. Like a paid VIP section?

bill_de 12-12-2013 03:57 PM

Re: 2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaZ87 (Post 944350)
Thanks for the info. Like a paid VIP section?

Not exactly. The site would like people to become a supporting member to help pay the bills. Willx, who posts the updates and answers a ton of questions about uConnect has decided to make a VIP thread available to supporting members of the site. He is not getting paid for this, but does it to help people by sharing the knowledge he has about this system.

So you shouldn't think of it as buying the update. You should think of it as supporting the 'club' you decided to join.


---

LaZ87 12-12-2013 04:08 PM

Re: 2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 944351)
You should think of it as supporting the 'club' you decided to join.

Definitely. And well worth it. Where do I put my money? lol

jacko15 12-12-2013 04:17 PM

Re: 2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaZ87 (Post 944358)
Definitely. And well worth it. Where do I put my money? lol

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

LaZ87 12-12-2013 04:21 PM

Re: 2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues
 
Ah, man, I just went and checked my version number. My dealership told me they had upgraded it to the latest version when I brought it in a month ago, but it's showing me version 13.15 something. lol

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I appreciate all the help. Now if you can tell me who I can pay to have my Eco button default to the Off position when I start my car, I can finally stop HATING my new car. haha

jacko15 12-12-2013 04:26 PM

Re: 2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaZ87 (Post 944371)
Now if you can tell me who I can pay to have my Eco button default to the Off position when I start my car...

That's the $64,000 question! :D

kaziii 12-12-2013 04:45 PM

Re: 2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaZ87 (Post 944371)
Ah, man, I just went and checked my version number. My dealership told me they had upgraded it to the latest version when I brought it in a month ago, but it's showing me version 13.15 something. lol

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I appreciate all the help. Now if you can tell me who I can pay to have my Eco button default to the Off position when I start my car, I can finally stop HATING my new car. haha

Don't hate your new truck. I love mine even though the heater needs upgraded to fireplace 2.0.

I believe that they are all rolling off the line with uConnect out of date. I know mine was several version behind the day I picked it up.

The ecobutton issue has been covered before. If I am remembering correctly, there is no fix. It will default to on every time. Likely you can thank the federal govt. for that one.

bill_de 12-12-2013 05:13 PM

Re: 2014 Overland - North American Climate Control Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaZ87 (Post 944371)
Ah, man, I just went and checked my version number. My dealership told me they had upgraded it to the latest version when I brought it in a month ago, but it's showing me version 13.15 something. lol

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I appreciate all the help. Now if you can tell me who I can pay to have my Eco button default to the Off position when I start my car, I can finally stop HATING my new car. haha

For now, the best solution is to pay yourself a dollar each time you get in the car and turn it off. Before you know it you will have a down payment for your next Jeep. :)



---


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community