Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Push Start Fell Inside Dash (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/push-start-fell-inside-dash-67694.html)

FStephenMasek 11-08-2013 12:32 AM

Push Start Fell Inside Dash

Leaving a building in west LA this evening to go to a laboratory in Garden grove and then home, I pushed the push to start button and the dang thing fell inside the dashboard! At least it started and I was able to get home. Once home, I got a flashlight and saw that the button assembly is a cylindrical object maybe 1.5 inches diameter by 3.5" long, and it was laying inside the dash. I also saw the knee airbag and realized I had no idea how to take off any of the lower dash plastic. I was able to reach inside around the leather boot on the steering column and get a finger on the button, and reach another finger inside through the button hole and push it to shut it off. This is not a good sign. I see one fractured and flimsy looking plastic support visible inside the hole in the dash. The push start button is something which will be used many times over the life of a vehicle, so it would be reasonable to design it to be extra sturdy, but this looks flimsy. I'll see what it looks like once the dealership takes it apart. How much you want to bet they will say they need days or weeks to get parts?

bill_de 11-08-2013 06:19 AM

Re: Push Start Fell Inside Dash

Quote:

Originally Posted by FStephenMasek (Post 926327)
How much you want to bet they will say they need days or weeks to get parts?

As long as they don't say "It's normal" :eek:

---

FStephenMasek 11-08-2013 02:03 PM

Well, 197 views thus far and nobody else has reported the same problem, so I guess this is an odd problem. I'll report what the dealership says and does.

Specx 11-08-2013 03:07 PM

How hard did you push? The button feels pretty solid to me, but I would have freaked if this happened to me.

eibyer 11-08-2013 03:29 PM

I've never read of anything like that before. You are the first :), but like Specx said, that would have been a weird experience.

AZhiCntry 11-08-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FStephenMasek (Post 926631)
Well, 197 views thus far and nobody else has reported the same problem, so I guess this is an odd problem. I'll report what the dealership says and does.

How about telling us what yr and model this happened on?:lol:

FStephenMasek 11-08-2013 06:19 PM

Oops, I was tired when I got back yesterday. It is a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland (V8, 4x4, "Technology") I bought 10/19. It had about 900 miles on it when the part broke yesterday. I just got back from the dealership in Huntington Beach. I asked to see the failed part, so went back to the shop parking lot with Dean. Several of the mounting points for the switch module broke on the back of the chromed plastic piece with wood on front - four or five. The guys joked with me about pushing too hard, but I am sure I could not develop enough force with one finger to break it as it failed.

They say the part is in the southern California warehouse and they will have it tomorrow.

silvermax04 11-08-2013 06:22 PM

I am surprised they didn't tell you that it was normal, functioning as designed, they are all like that

TurboRush 11-08-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermax04 (Post 926804)
I am surprised they didn't tell you that it was normal, functioning as designed, they are all like that

:lol: :lol:

Zybane 11-09-2013 07:58 AM

Switch probably wasn't seated properly in the bracket at the factory. Stinks!

AAAA 11-09-2013 02:17 PM

Oh, something else to worry about. But maybe your interior is just a cardboard mock up for demonstration purposes only.

FStephenMasek 11-10-2013 12:10 AM

It is repaired. The service counter guy said that the technicians and them looked at the failed old part and could not see anyone being able to develop enough finger force to break it. The two service counter guys we spoke with are clearly worried that they will soon have more such failed parts.