Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Auto Door Locks (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/auto-door-locks-67697.html)

WATacoRider 11-08-2013 01:10 AM

Auto Door Locks

So just what exactly triggers the doors to be locked when you're driving? I can't seem to duplicate when it happens. I thought it was speed based, but doesn't appear to be the case, at least for me.

It seems to lock whenever it wants to....

Are there different options to select for different lock settings? I only see the enable and disable option the console.

Tony407 11-08-2013 01:38 AM

Re: Auto Door Locks

They're supposed to lock at 15 mph. Although I've seen at least one thread somewhere around here in which people were complaining about random locking tendencies. I have seen mine lock at odd times, although it's very rare.

Tony

WATacoRider 11-08-2013 01:53 AM

After you said that, I searched and found a thread. This must be it.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/curiou...cks-63129.html

And yes, I seem to have the same issue. At times, I'll back out and drive about 1/8 mile down the complex and easily exceed 20MPH and nothing happens. But as soon as I stop at the stop sign, then turn left, it will lock the doors.

I wonder if it has some sort of glitch when you go reverse then forward. You have to come to a full stop to reset the setting.

To me, 15 MPH seems damn high for it to lock. I would rather have the speed trigger much lower. Say 5 MPH or so.

Blakey 11-08-2013 02:15 AM

Same here

WATacoRider 11-08-2013 02:23 AM

Another thing I would like to add. I do not like the manual door lock posts on the front doors. When the doors are locked, you can't grip the post to unlock. What happens if you lose power?

Go out the back doors, since their posts are much longer. When they are in the lock position, you can still grip the post to pull up on.:mad:

Tony407 11-08-2013 02:23 AM

I myself would prefer the doors to lock when I put the car into gear.

Tony

WATacoRider 11-08-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony407 (Post 926363)
I myself would prefer the doors to lock when I put the car into gear.

Tony

That would be nice too. Maybe there'll be an update for it in the future. One would think it'll be an easy add-on......

Tony407 11-08-2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WATacoRider (Post 926362)
Another thing I would like to add. I do not like the manual door lock posts on the front doors. When the doors are locked, you can't grip the post to unlock. What happens if you lose power?

Don't the door handles still work?

Tony

TurboRush 11-08-2013 07:31 AM

As the thread above metnions its 15mph if accelerating normally, but if its super light throttle it'll go past 15mph until you push down a little bit.

Give it a shot, just creep along barely breathing on the throttle and get past 15 mph, then accelerate normally, the second your foot hits the gas they'll lock. If you accelerate normally right from the start they'll lock dead on at 15mph. When I leave the office I accelerate past 2 crosswalks so I am barely touching the throttle and then I go into a decent downhill through the parking lot, as a result, I get up to 30mph without touching the throttle, minute I give it gas they lock.

Andoskyy 11-08-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WATacoRider (Post 926362)

Go out the back doors, since their posts are much longer. When they are in the lock position, you can still grip the post to pull up on.:mad:

The last few cars I've had will unlock the doors when you pull the interior handle. I'm sure that's the case with the Jeep, though I haven't tested it.

If you lose power in an accident, you still need to be able to open your door.

Shannon 11-08-2013 09:36 AM

BLONDESTAR - YouTube">BLONDESTAR - YouTube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

jacko15 11-08-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WATacoRider (Post 926365)
That would be nice too. Maybe there'll be an update for it in the future. One would think it'll be an easy add-on......

This delayed locking has been a Jeep thing for years. My previous GM vehicles would allow you to select other scenarios. I much prefer lock on putting in gear, and unlock when putting in park. To each his own, but we should be able to choose.