Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Over ride aero mode (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/over-ride-aero-mode-67723.html)

Mv090 11-08-2013 09:32 PM

Over ride aero mode

Looking for guidance on how to override aero mode on the air suspension while towing a caravan?

Willx 11-08-2013 09:46 PM

Re: Over ride aero mode

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mv090 (Post 926942)
Looking for guidance on how to override aero mode on the air suspension while towing a caravan?

Why would you need to do this? Just curious, I did a lot of testing with the QL and the Aero mode and it helps with stability at higher speeds.

Mv090 11-09-2013 01:12 AM

When towing a van as it engages, the balance of the van is upset. The front drops, making the van lean forward.

Matty470 11-09-2013 02:42 AM

Aero mode only lowers the car 15mm.
It also only lowers once over 100km/h (60mph).
You won't even notice the difference, I certainly don't with my van that weighs 2.3T.

Willx 11-09-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mv090 (Post 927010)
When towing a van as it engages, the balance of the van is upset. The front drops, making the van lean forward.

I am with Matty, with the correct setup and load bars, it moves only ever so slightly. How did you see this balance problem while driving high speeds down the road?

Mv090 11-11-2013 02:58 PM

Thanks for the responses. It felt like more of a drop, I will get over it!

RocketRod 11-12-2013 06:35 AM

So the question still remains can you override Aero mode?
Who cares why he wants to that's his business can it be done or not?

Willx 11-12-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketRod (Post 928863)
So the question still remains can you override Aero mode?
Who cares why he wants to that's his business can it be done or not?

Good Point. I will try it today while driving. Not sure if this is as simple as pressing the up button once it tries to lower. I do know there is no way to "check and option" to do this. My fear is that it negatively affects the handling of the vehicle at higher speeds as well.

RocketRod 11-12-2013 06:43 AM

You wouldn't think it would unduly affect handling - mine is a steel spring so it already rides higher than Aero mode...
He doesn't want to tow in off road setting just not on low setting

Willx 11-12-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketRod (Post 928869)
You wouldn't think it would unduly affect handling - mine is a steel spring so it already rides higher than Aero mode...
He doesn't want to tow in off road setting just not on low setting

No I understand. The air suspension is different though. Your spring rate is constant vs the Stiffness of the ride of the air suspension is actually variable. So at Standard height (between aero and ORI) the suspension has more "give" or "softness" then at aero height. This is the idea behind the Air Suspension (aerodynamics as well) but being able to vary the stiffness of the ride so that you get good corning stability at higher speeds and the softness and comfort at lower speeds.

I am sure the OP can attest that the ride is firmer at high speeds than low and the Jeep is doing this automatically. I noted the stability improvements in how it handles when I was towing a 3000KG trailer during my testing VS standard spring vehicles, so I was speaking from experience.

lstowell 11-12-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mv090 (Post 928374)
Thanks for the responses. It felt like more of a drop, I will get over it!

You could disengage ECO mode before you start moving, that would put it in sport mode, which if I recall is the same height as aero.

Then, once up to 56 mph for a short time [or just wait till 60] you could go to ECO and get aero.

Might be nice to have a tow mode that starts at aero height and runs in lower gears a bit longer than eco would, but less than sport would.

bill_de 11-12-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 929201)
You could disengage ECO mode before you start moving, that would put it in sport mode, which if I recall is the same height as aero.

Then, once up to 56 mph for a short time [or just wait till 60] you could go to ECO and get aero.

Might be nice to have a tow mode that starts at aero height and runs in lower gears a bit longer than eco would, but less than sport would.

Disengaging Eco does not put the vehicle in sport mode. It's the other way around.
Sport mode disengages Eco and lowers the Jeep to aero.

-_-