Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Paint overspray from construction... what to do? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/paint-overspray-from-construction-what-to-do-67746.html)

Be_Prepared 11-09-2013 03:04 PM

Paint overspray from construction... what to do?

I'm about 2 weeks into my new 2014 GC Limited. Nice day today, so I decided to get a good coat of wax on my new baby before the winter starts to attack my crystal black Jeep. After the wash, I notice on the passenger side that there are pin point sized, light colored spots. Couldn't really notice them until it was really clean, and the sun caught them, but they are clearly overspray from some painting that was going on under a highway overpass a few days ago. Of course I had to drive under, and didn't notice any spray, but apparently there was a little. :mad:

Now the question is, what do I do to get rid of them? I really don't want to use something that's going to hurt my nice fresh clearcoat. Never dealt with this before in any other cars. I always wondered when driving around bridges being painted what would happen if there was some overspray that was caught in the wind and landed on my vehicle... now I know.

I know there are some detailing gurus reading this forum... what would you suggest? My initial thought is to actually find a professional detailer near me to assess it, unless there's a reasonably straightforward option for me to try.

Thanks for the help!
Ron

hummer recovery team 11-09-2013 03:06 PM

Clay bar should remove them harmlessly

hummer recovery team 11-09-2013 03:06 PM

Use lots of lube for the clay

Be_Prepared 11-09-2013 03:36 PM

Re: Paint overspray from construction... what to do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummer recovery team (Post 927254)
Clay bar should remove them harmlessly

Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I was so bummed about the overspray when I saw it. Was trying to get a good coat of wax on the Jeep before anything corrupted it, but that didn't work out. After using a clay bar, and wiping off the lubricant, do you wash again, or is it ready for wax? I assume I won't need polish yet on this new paint.

Are there any gotcha's to be aware of when using a clay bar to pick up things on the paint?

Thanks again!

Northland 11-09-2013 04:09 PM

I agree that clay bar is the best way to remove the overspray. I'm a Zaino fanboy; I use just a little of their Z-7 car wash in about 16 oz. of water in a spray bottle as lubricant to clay a car. Spray a small area well with the lubricant before claying; just use enough downward pressure on the clay to pick up debris out of the clearcoat but it should still slide easily over the surface. You'll definitely need to wash the car after claying, then you'll need to polish it as the clay not only removes contaminants but all waxes and polishes as well. Read this for more info. - Zaino Store: Showcar Guides Cleaning with Clay

Be_Prepared 11-10-2013 02:08 PM

Thanks, the "how-to" videos on the Zaino site were informative, (especially for someone who has done polish and wax, but never tried the detailing clay before).