Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   Drove One Today (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/drove-one-today-67747.html)

Tarponbeach 11-09-2013 03:09 PM

Drove One Today

Was at the dealer looking at the new Cherokee today. I had the opportunity to drive a '14 Limited.

Fit and finish is very good, and interior materials are good quality. One thing that I thought was really dumb, was the USB/SD connector layout. They are almost horizontal at the front of the floor console...Perfect placement for spilling a drink into.

The Limited drove well, and handled well, although the downward slope of the hood made judging front distance difficult.

The major complaint that I have is the transmission. The Cherokee would buck at times, when changing gears up, and often seemed confused as to what gear it should be in.

Other than that, a very nice vehicle.

judal98 11-09-2013 04:25 PM

Re: Drove One Today

V6 or 4?

Tarponbeach 11-09-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judal98 (Post 927291)
V6 or 4?

V6, which had plenty of power, as stated however, the 9 speed was a bit funky.

moparmania 11-10-2013 08:13 AM

:confused::confused: Excuse me but isn't this why we waited 4 months , because of trans problems ?? :confused::confused:

hudsonhawk 11-10-2013 08:35 AM

On another forum a new owner had mentioned a similar problem. She said that after a week the issue went away. The transmission controller is designed to learn your driving style. It may just need time to dial itself in.

moparmania 11-10-2013 09:34 AM

:rolleyes:
I Think Ill wait for the rest of the country to dial in for a few months !
:cool:

loveracing1988 11-10-2013 09:50 AM

Every vehicle I've driven with a learning transmission drives funny for the first few miles. After a couple hundred miles it will learn your driving and will be fine. The manual on the grand cherokee says it takes 1000 miles to fully learn.

NHPATRIOT 11-10-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparmania (Post 927632)
:rolleyes:
I Think Ill wait for the rest of the country to dial in for a few months !
:cool:

Won't matter. It is an adaptive system that requires you driving it so it learns how best to perform to meet your driving style/needs.

barnettdlb 11-10-2013 05:15 PM

What it won't learn

Had a unique opportunity to talk to a test driver yesterday in Naples. He was with a group that is now testing Roush modified 2014 Stingrays... sweet... and another forum.
He has been driving CH THs on I-75 the past few months. He did not like the 4cyl on the highway. (A 4100lb TH with test equipment is what I saw). It kept gear searching in windy conditions.
I-75 on Alligator Alley (Naples to Fort Lauderdale/Miami) is notoriously windy this time of year... and windy with rain in the summer.
In the river of grass region it reminds me of the highways in KS.
This is flat terrain. Numerous small bridges dot the stretch to allow water and wild life flow but overall it is not challenging.
If I decide to get a CH TH it would be a V6. My wifes GC V6 runs great out there... no struggle.
and finally that is the dilemma. a v6 CH TH is rated 25mpg and that is the same as a v6 2014 GC. I looked at a CH and a GC side by side and the GC is taller, bigger on rear passenger space and has a larger cargo area.

Array 11-10-2013 08:36 PM

Re: What it won't learn

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnettdlb (Post 927843)
... dilemma. a v6 CH TH is rated 25mpg and that is the same as a v6 2014 GC. I looked at a CH and a GC side by side and the GC is taller, bigger on rear passenger space and has a larger cargo area.

Could be the TH's 4.083 Final Drive Ratio.

EPA rates the Cherokee 6 cyl Active Drive I @ 27mpg and the Active Drive II @ 26mpg

The EPA shows GC @ 24mpg:
Fuel Economy of the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD

barnettdlb 11-11-2013 09:13 PM

Yes. After I typed it I realized the sticker was on a 2wd. Still impressive for a pretty big SUV. My wife has a 2011 GC and I love how it drives.

You are right about the probable reasons... also CH TH weighs more and sits about 2" higher than 4x2s.

kxc223 11-16-2013 07:39 PM

I was at my dealer yesterday for an oil change on my GC. They had two new Cherokees in stock but both were FWD models. I drove one equipped with the V-6 and enjoyed it. The fit and finish was very good and I too found the front end much easier to look at in person.
Generally I liked the vehicle but I didn't find it remarkable and I will probably opt for another GC for my next vehicle.