Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Hands free "talk" audio issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/hands-free-talk-audio-issue-67781.html)

Zoggan 11-10-2013 12:17 PM

Hands free "talk" audio issue

When my wife is in our 2014 GC Overland and using the hands free system she sounds like she's too far away from the microphone. It IS the microphone in the GC that is sending the audio but it's not a good sound. I can't believe its correct. Anyone else experience this?

StaticFX 11-10-2013 11:47 PM

Re: Hands free "talk" audio issue

i have the opposite problem, wife thinks im yelling at her when im in the jeep

Born2golf 11-12-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoggan (Post 927711)
When my wife is in our 2014 GC Overland and using the hands free system she sounds like she's too far away from the microphone. It IS the microphone in the GC that is sending the audio but it's not a good sound. I can't believe its correct. Anyone else experience this?

Your comment implies that you have insured she is not somehow using the actual telephone as the microphone, by perhaps by tapping on actual phone during a call to see if the other person can hear that (which they shouldn't). So if that is the case, I would agree that something is definitely wrong and would bring it back to the dealer. I am in sales and do a lot of talking from the car and generally speaking most people cannot even tell I'm in a car. The audio is THAT good, and you deserves the same. (FWIW I'm on a a Verizon Android phone)

Have you tried syncing your phone instead to see if the result is the same? Perhaps it is a phone specific problem? Uconnect has LOTS of flakyness from phone to phone.

Born2golf 11-12-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaticFX (Post 928025)
i have the opposite problem, wife thinks im yelling at her when im in the jeep

Well.... are you?? (Just kidding)

But seriously, I've always been of the mindset that I need to shout at the mic to overcome road noise, but that is not necessary in this vehicle. I was getting similar feedback from people I called from the Jeep. So I called myself and left myself a voicemail while peaking in decreasing volume from my "normal" (shout) all the way down to a whisper. When I listened to the playback I was shocked at how quietly I could speak and still be heard clearly. I had to literally change my phone etiquette. I suggest listening to the playback in a place with normal background noise to really get the feel for what other people are hearing from you.

lstowell 11-12-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

How tall is your wife?
Is this true for you, or just her?

I THINK the microphone is in the overhead at the rear view mirror is why... possibly her seating position is just a tad too far away.

Of course it could also have a bad mike.

Tony407 11-13-2013 04:10 AM

I've had plenty of people tell me that the Bluetooth audio quality in my Summit is very nice. I have a Samsung Epic 4G, if that helps.

Tony

Zoggan 11-13-2013 10:46 AM

Thank you for all of the replies folks. I haven't been able to do much experimenting. I did try the system talking to a friend of mine and he said it sounded good. My wife and I both use Samsung S4 phones. I'll need to put her in the GC with my phone and see how that sounds once.

I did experiment enough with my friend to be pretty sure that the microphone is indeed in the rear view mirror, apparently the slots on top of the mirror allow audio into the microphone.

My wife is 5' 5" so not a small person and I wouldn't think distance to the mirror would be a problem.

1st jeep 11-13-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

I get the same feed back all the time.