Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Key-swapping thieves steal Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT from FL dealer (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/key-swapping-thieves-steal-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt-from-fl-dealer-67828.html)

DanMartin 11-11-2013 02:25 PM

Key-swapping thieves steal Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT from FL dealer

Key-swapping thieves steal Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT from FL dealer - Autoblog

Discuss....

Prestone 11-11-2013 02:35 PM

What's there to discuss? They just swapped out the key fob with a dummy fob and then stole the car. As long as your not a dealer and handing ur keys to complete stranger, you will probably have nothing to worry about.

bill_de 11-11-2013 02:47 PM

Re: Key-swapping thieves steal Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT from FL dealer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestone (Post 928360)
What's there to discuss? They just swapped out the key fob with a dummy fob and then stole the car. As long as your not a dealer and handing ur keys to complete stranger, you will probably have nothing to worry about.

Looks like you just started the discussion. :rolleyes:

---

countrygirl 11-11-2013 05:53 PM

When I bought the SRT a few weeks back, the dealer had "lost" the 2nd key. They ended up ordering And making me a new one.

Makes me wonder if one day I'll wake up and the SRT will be gone.....

whartung 11-11-2013 06:06 PM

Well the beauty nowadays is that the dealers don't have to give the keys over. In fact, i don't recall whether he let me have the fob or not when I did my test drive. I simply have no recollection one way or the other.

A little sticker from a labeler with a dealer ID, and a touch of Goo Gone will help mitigate this as well.

Or, of course, they can chain it to an old steel wheel rim, like in "The Jerk".

lillyjas 11-11-2013 07:43 PM

It doesn't surprise me with dealers... Was probably an inside job...

My 2nd trip to the dealer for service... They "lost" my SRT... Went to pick it up for some warrantee work and was about 30 min early and got the paperwork and after 10 minutes the cute little receptionist was like. "I am really sorry but no one knows where it is... " she said "we have a lot of black jeeps around here ... ". I was none like mine! So after walking around the lot I said look I will just sound the horn with my unconnected app... Tried that and it said "error unavailable while in motion..." So I told the service guy ... Someone is out test driving my ride... 5 min later the service manager pulled up and said "oh we ere just getting it washed up for you..." (Hmm I don't see any water droplets....) and he walked away and the fob alarm was beeping... He had it in his pocket... And was like oh, didn't know I had this...

Reason 3589 why I detest car dealerships...

xJoshxx 11-11-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countrygirl (Post 928514)
When I bought the SRT a few weeks back, the dealer had "lost" the 2nd key. They ended up ordering And making me a new one.

Makes me wonder if one day I'll wake up and the SRT will be gone.....

They can program that key out of the jeep with out the KEY the computer records all the ID's

I had remote start added to my Laredo i left the spare key at home, When i tired it no longer worked at all. Just the 2 remotes that came with the remote starter kit.