Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 Limited - Check Engine Light on (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-limited-check-engine-light-on-67829.html)

dodenheimer 11-11-2013 03:02 PM

2014 Limited - Check Engine Light on

I have a 2014 Limited with under 3k miles on it which recently had the check engine light come on. Used a code reader and pulled the codes P0455 and P0456. It seems that both of these are usually caused by a loose gas cap but the 2014 does not have one at all. Any ideas or ways to reset the light or do I need to take it in to the dealer?

bill_de 11-11-2013 03:09 PM

Re: 2014 Limited - Check Engine Light on

If the fault that caused the light to come on no longer exists, the light will shut off after a few restarts. I never had one stay on past the next day.

---

dodenheimer 11-11-2013 03:10 PM

Its been on for almost 3 days now. Guess I need to take it to the dealer

bill_de 11-11-2013 03:14 PM

I just recalled, somebody with a similar problem got the light to go out by filling the tank.

---

Northland 11-11-2013 03:15 PM

Does your code reader not have the capability of clearing fault codes? If not, take it by an AutoZone or O'Reilly's and ask them to clear it - then see if it resets, and take it to the dealer if it does. Might be a one time thing that you'll never see again.

dodenheimer 11-11-2013 03:15 PM

Interesting. Ill try that. Thanks for the help

dodenheimer 11-11-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northland (Post 928390)
Does your code reader not have the capability of clearing fault codes? If not, take it by an AutoZone or O'Reilly's and ask them to clear it - then see if it resets, and take it to the dealer if it does. Might be a one time thing that you'll never see again.

Dont think the code reader had that function. just a cheap one from walmart. Hopefully it will turn itself off soon

dodenheimer 11-11-2013 03:33 PM

Got the light to go off with the code reader. Hope it stays off.

lstowell 11-11-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 928388)
I just recalled, somebody with a similar problem got the light to go out by filling the tank.

---

Is the MIL flashing, or just on solid?

There is a TSB for bogosity of fault code involving an obscure fuel evap sensor for build date up to late May, and another for MIL due to the processor itself for build up to late August. See WK2Jeeps.com - 2011-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee P0456 is the MIL Illumination P0456- Evap System Small Leak where TSB 18-034-13 Aug 15 has a flash for
vehicles older than build date 21 May (MDH 0521XX)

Typically a solid MIL will go away after mumble start/stop cycles and a solid MIL isn't as serious as flashing one.

You have two error codes, and may have something like a loose hose or similar, so I'd suggest using the warranty unless your dealer is a complete schnook.

lstowell 11-11-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodenheimer (Post 928393)
Dont think the code reader had that function. just a cheap one from walmart. Hopefully it will turn itself off soon

Check it, most can reset codes.
If there is an Autozone, they can read and reset for you.
They have modest priced readers in the $50 range that can also reset.

How many miles you got? Mine did this twice, then for almost 8000 miles now, not a peep. The tech did tighten the crap out of that big alternator frame ground on the left side of the engine it appears. Somewhere in the 106 to 110 lbs/foot range.

GCLimited 11-12-2013 09:03 AM

Why don't you just take it back to the dealership and have them look at it instead of trying to fix it yourself?

That's what "under warranty" is all about.

bill_de 11-12-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 928923)
Why don't you just take it back to the dealership and have them look at it instead of trying to fix it yourself?

That's what "under warranty" is all about.

I usually bring warranty problems to the dealer. But, there is a certain satisfaction in fixing something, rather than complaining about it. A lot of folks today don't understand that. Other's feel they are not getting everything they are "entitled" to if they don't make somebody else take care of their problem.

There are different mind sets. I prefer the one that tells us to help ourselves if we can.

Back in the 70's my Chevy dealer would let me fix my own problems, and pay me whatever GM reimbursed them. That was the best of both worlds. Of course, back then I understood what made cars run. Now I just hope the programmer knew what they were doing. :)

---