Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Is this 4.7L MPG really something I have to get use to??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/is-this-4-7l-mpg-really-something-i-have-to-get-use-to-6788.html)

nastylil93 02-21-2010 06:26 PM

Is this 4.7L MPG really something I have to get use to???

I bought an 06' Laredo w/ 4.7L in it back in Dec. It has 34,500 miles on it and all stock. I love it and I am new to Jeeps, but when I bought it and drove it off the lot, the EVIC was showing 15.8 mpg and has been decreasing ever since. I am down to 13.0 now and I have a 1000 mile round trip coming up and these mpg are making me nervous. I know what you guys are gonna say, "If MPG were on your mind, shouldn't have bought a V8".... But come on, i expected better then this. I do not have a lead foot at ALL in this, I save that for my Camaro in my avatar....:thumbsup: I have even started driving it slower and easing into the gas softer than I ever do and the MPG just keep dropping. Is this really normal?? I drive the thing only 5 days a week and 15 miles everyday, so not that much mileage and stop-go driving. Sorry for the long story, but just need some input from you Jeep experts on here. Thanks.

Robert Palmer 02-21-2010 06:30 PM

Re: Is this 4.7L MPG really something I have to get use to???

5000 pounds and full time 4WD will do that to ya.

LTrainGC 02-21-2010 06:40 PM

If you only drive 15 miles a day, that is 7.5 miles each way. I'd assume the Jeep is barely at operating temperature by the time you reach your destination, and engines don't run at their most efficient when they are cold.

Try calculating your mileage by hand and see if your results differ any from your EVIC.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-21-2010 06:43 PM

thats only averaged over the last 30 miles, so if you are doing city miles it is going to stay low.

AcidCold 02-21-2010 06:49 PM

Change the spark plugs, i bet they are the originals. world of difference on mine.

nastylil93 02-21-2010 07:11 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies on here. I just wanted to be sure that it was normal for these things. It will go up on my 1000 mile trip right???? I will be on cruise control and avg. around 70mph the whole way. Also, is it a waste of money to buy a drop-in K&N filter for it?? Changing the spark plugs this soon?? That a little overexcessive for only 35000 miles on it??

Robert Palmer 02-21-2010 07:12 PM

It will go up. I say 17-19 if you are light on the throttle. And yeah it is a waste of money for the K&N drop in. Save the 50 bucks for gas. ;)

JeepKid 02-21-2010 07:16 PM

Try an oil change? I let my jeep go past the usual 3k mile oil change and my mpgs dropped form 18/city to 14/city. It was guzzlin gas like mad!! I didnt think not changin the oil for another 1k miles could have such a drastic effect. Oh and im sure it was the oil because as soon as i got it done the mpgs went back up to normal on the 50 mile drive home and have stayed since.

Robert Palmer 02-21-2010 07:17 PM

Its the short commute that is killing him. The Jeep doesnt get to full operating temp and he is in stop and go traffic.

AcidCold 02-21-2010 07:20 PM

Spark plug change at ONLY 35k?? please tell me your kidding?? pull one out and check it out on for yourself. I change them every 8k

nastylil93 02-21-2010 07:29 PM

Thanks Elvis. I feel alot better about these mpgs. I was already planning to change the oil before I go on this trip anyway. I do also start the Jeep up in the mornings and let it warm up for about 10 mins before i drive to work. These Nebraska winters are no joke, and when it is -3 in the mornings, gotta let the vehicle warm up some. I know that is killing my mileage too. So, I will change the oil, fill it up, and set the cruise control next week and see what the results are then. thanks again for your guys thoughts.

nastylil93 02-21-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidCold (Post 155519)
Spark plug change at ONLY 35k?? please tell me your kidding?? pull one out and check it out on for yourself. I change them every 8k

No, im not kidding. I'm not new at vehicle maintenance, and have never heard of changing spark plugs at almost every other oil change???? Big waste of money, unless you running nitrous alot and pushing alot of fuel through your motor. But if that is what makes you feel better, by all means, it's your money and vehicle.