Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   LED Turn Signal Stays Solid (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/led-turn-signal-stays-solid-67883.html)

JustDontBlink 11-12-2013 08:09 PM

LED Turn Signal Stays Solid

Hey guys. I just switched all of my exterior lights to LEDs and I've come into a bit of a problem. My turn signal lights are not blinking when I flick them for the left or right signals, they just stay solid. If I hit the blinker however, they blink normally. After doing some research I think I've figured out why. Apparently since LEDs use less power than normal bulbs they are unable to heat bimetal switch needed to activate turn signal flasher.

My question to anyone familiar with the issue is what is the best solution? From what I've seen you can get an LED compatible flasher, or use load resistors which I have no familiarity with but if anything I can give my side mechanic a call to do it for me. Which is the better solution? Whats a good manufacture to get these parts from? Is there an easier way to fix this? Thanks for the help in advance.

akimball 11-12-2013 08:11 PM

Re: LED Turn Signal Stays Solid

pretty sure you are gonna need resistors...

im sure someone with better knowledge will chime in for you

xJoshxx 11-12-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akimball (Post 929422)
pretty sure you are gonna need resistors...

im sure someone with better knowledge will chime in for you

x2 Specially on a WJ they already have picky electrical systems. I've seen some LED's look like strobes because they had no resistor

JustDontBlink 11-20-2013 08:30 PM

Thanks guys. Dumb question but just to be sure I will need 4 resistors right? 2 for the front LEDs and 2 for the back LEDs?

JustDontBlink 04-07-2014 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
With the nice weather in NYC last weekend I finally installed load resistors in the front and the back so now my signals are blinking normally

akimball 04-07-2014 09:31 PM

awesome. looks good man.

JustDontBlink 04-08-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akimball (Post 1004845)
awesome. looks good man.

Thanks a lot man now that they're working right I'm taking my time at the intersections and letting them flash lol

ThePhantom 04-10-2014 11:19 AM

I did this on my WK yesterday and have the same issue. Anybody know if the 09 WK's have sensitivity issues that cause the need for resistors too?

robpp 04-10-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePhantom (Post 1006048)
I did this on my WK yesterday and have the same issue. Anybody know if the 09 WK's have sensitivity issues that cause the need for resistors too?

I hav e yet to see a vehicle with electornic flasher that didnt need one.

3ohm front. standard 3157 bulb

rear is a CK type bulb and a 6 ohm resistor.

ThePhantom 04-11-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 1006080)
I hav e yet to see a vehicle with electornic flasher that didnt need one.

3ohm front. standard 3157 bulb

rear is a CK type bulb and a 6 ohm resistor.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Gus9890 04-17-2014 11:05 AM

Check out our An Introductory Guide To Upgrading Your WJ's Interior Lighting To LED, under Tech tips/DIY/How to, we have a lot of good info there for upgrading to LEDs