Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Minor Interior panel creaks and squeaks (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/minor-interior-panel-creaks-and-squeaks-67901.html)

Andoskyy 11-13-2013 07:52 AM

Minor Interior panel creaks and squeaks

Has anyone noticed the interior plastics tend to creak a bit, especially when cold?

I notice it a lot when passengers' knees hit the plastic on the side of the center column. I also notice it next to the shifter and in the cup holder. If you push anywhere hard plastic meets hard plastic, you can create a squeak...which I hear over tiny bumps...mostly when cold.

My old Lexus IS350 was a squeak trap. No rattles at all, but squeaks and creaks everywhere...from day 1. Thankfully, the Jeep is much much better, but I'd love to make them go away.

I'm thinking either silicon in the joints (Testing on hidden plastic somewhere first), or graphite powder. I'd apply silicon with a fine pointed syringe, let it soak into the joint and wipe any excess. For the graphite, I was thinking of putting a fine bead on the joints, tapping it down into the joint and vacuuming any excess.

Anyone tried anything like this?

ernestd 11-13-2013 09:06 AM

Re: Minor Interior panel creaks and squeaks

I've used DuPont Krytox with excellent results.

lstowell 11-13-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernestd (Post 929721)
I've used DuPont Krytox with excellent results.

Krytox is a product family.

Depending on the color of objects in the area, graphite can help, as can moly powder, lithium grease, contact cement, clear or colored silicone [careful around ANY electronics], etc.

ernestd 11-14-2013 09:12 AM

DuPont krytox GPL-105 oil Lubricant does the trick all the time.
Don't mess up your interior with all that other stuff. I know what I'm talking about.Ive eliminated all the squeaks in my vehicle with this liquid, even the panoramic sunroof noises others complain about.By the way, it also comes in a grease if that's what you prefer to use.
Cheers

Andoskyy 11-14-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernestd (Post 930258)
DuPont krytox GPL-105 oil Lubricant does the trick all the time.
Don't mess up your interior with all that other stuff. I know what I'm talking about.Ive eliminated all the squeaks in my vehicle with this liquid, even the panoramic sunroof noises others complain about.By the way, it also comes in a grease if that's what you prefer to use.
Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion. Not worried about ruining anything, as I'd only buy plastic/rubber safe products and test it. Plenty of hidden plastic in the Jeep to test things on.

Before I drop $40 on an ounce of GPL-105, I'm giving Einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' a chance. $8 for 3.4 ounces and has fantastic reviews on Amazon. Amazon Prime gets it to me today :)

My feeling is that if the Einszett works, so will the GLP, but the GPL will last much longer than the Einszett.

Will let you know how it works.

Thanks again!

ernestd 11-15-2013 09:43 AM

I agree the Kritox was expensive.
The Gummi Pflege is also an excellent product.
I'm sure you will have these creaks under control shortly.
Good luck

Andoskyy 11-15-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernestd (Post 930696)
I agree the Kritox was expensive.
The Gummi Pflege is also an excellent product.
I'm sure you will have these creaks under control shortly.
Good luck

Thanks. The Gummi Pflege came in yesterday and I only put it on the sunroof. Fixed the noise. So far so good.

Waiting for some fine pointed syringes to be delivered and will get the Gummi Pfledge into the plastic creases.

very optimistic so far.

wuaname 11-17-2013 04:32 PM

Funny my previous lexuses never had creaks I would expect it from our jeeps after a while though

Andoskyy 11-17-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuaname (Post 931739)
Funny my previous lexuses never had creaks I would expect it from our jeeps after a while though

Did you have an IS? They were notorious for rattles and squeaks.

ernestd 11-18-2013 11:05 AM

Success!
Happy to hear that the fix is working for you.
Enjoy your vehicle.