Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   Steering Dampener (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/steering-dampener-67902.html)

Hotrod 11-13-2013 09:25 AM

Steering Dampener

Hello Fellow Jeep Owners, I am new to this site and have a question. I have an '04 JGC SE 4WD . 117k miles. Owned it for about 7 mos. After hitting a bump in the road the jeep wants to wander. I Replaced shocks with Bilsteins, right side upper and lower BJ, Rear upper wishbone. But still getting that wandering. Any ideas? I was thinking about replacing the steering dampener, it looks original. What RU guys running for a steering dampener?

Frango100 11-13-2013 09:48 AM

Re: Steering Dampener

Welcome to the garage.
Did you check all the steering rod.ends for play? If the damper is original, it probably is due for a change. Don't remember the brand I put on.

Hotrod 11-13-2013 09:59 AM

Thanks Frank. I did check the tie rod ends. There was no play. I had the front end off the ground and tried moving the wheels inward and outward. Could it be a control arm somewhere? Panhard bar? They are not moving around after using a pry bar on them. What are the usual parts that go bad on these Jeeps. I just don't know enough about the inherent problems, if any, on these Jeeps.

Anyone using "Rancho"? steering dampener?

Frango100 11-13-2013 10:06 AM

On mine the track bar bushings went bad. Changed it with a new trackbar from Omix ada, but after a year I have play again. My experience is to stay away from Omix ada crap.
I also have some play on the steering gearbox.
The control arm bushings are worth to check, especially the two on top of the front axle.

Hotrod 11-13-2013 01:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out!:)

lstowell 11-13-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotrod (Post 929739)
Thanks Frank. I did check the tie rod ends. There was no play. I had the front end off the ground and tried moving the wheels inward and outward. Could it be a control arm somewhere? Panhard bar? They are not moving around after using a pry bar on them. What are the usual parts that go bad on these Jeeps. I just don't know enough about the inherent problems, if any, on these Jeeps.

Anyone using "Rancho"? steering dampener?

I used a Rancho on a 95 ZJ. Didn't really notice anything unusual about it.
The dampener is not for correcting wander, it is to deal with death wobble.
You have something wrong or it wouldn't be wandering--and under most conditions you would also not get death wobble if the front end is in perfect condition.

Trav1s 11-15-2013 09:29 AM

I replaced the factory steering damper at 80k miles with a Moog Trailboss and it made a noticeable difference. At that time Rockauto or Amazon had the best price. Let us know if you do the swap. I have a bit of looseness in my WJ but I think it is more about worn bushings than steering parts.

Carlos Brown 11-19-2013 10:47 PM

HotRod,

I have been through the entire WJ suspension and have replaced each of the OE parts with equivalent or better quality parts, but the wander is still not completely cured.

I have run the Jeep with and without a a steering dampener (and when the suspension is setup correctly) I have not noticed any difference in the steering or handling...

Now, what I have noticed is that the steering gear box is prone to wear and is in many cases, responsible for the WJ wander...

What we as a WJ Jeep community need to do is to start researching the ins & outs of the gearbox and attempt to come up with a solution to the wear problem. Seems to me that I heard of a company that was swapping out the shaft bushings for bearings (I don't know if this is correct)?

You can adjust a little of the play out of the gear, but if the preload is set too high, the gearbox will constantly pull left & right of center...

Regards,

Carlos