Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Superlift or RRO? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/superlift-or-rro-67936.html)

GC10LTD 11-14-2013 09:40 AM

Superlift or RRO?
 
I'm looking at doing a lift for my 2010 WK Limited 3.7L V6 but I was wondering if I went with the Superlift, would it put extra stress on my driveline angles and would it affect my steering stabilizer. I have friends who have done the Superlift and have all said that when you go up to 4" lift, you have to get extra hardware so you can fix your driveline angle back to where it would be at stock height. Am I totally incorrect or what? I'm very new to this "lifting" thing. I've known about it but I have seen alot of people changing out all their shocks and UCA's when they lift more then 2.5". Can someone please explain to me what I will need to replace when, and if i get the superlift?

Chris_IAH 11-26-2013 01:29 PM

Re: Superlift or RRO?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GC10LTD (Post 930272)
I'm looking at doing a lift for my 2010 WK Limited 3.7L V6 but I was wondering if I went with the Superlift, would it put extra stress on my driveline angles and would it affect my steering stabilizer. I have friends who have done the Superlift and have all said that when you go up to 4" lift, you have to get extra hardware so you can fix your driveline angle back to where it would be at stock height. Am I totally incorrect or what? I'm very new to this "lifting" thing. I've known about it but I have seen alot of people changing out all their shocks and UCA's when they lift more then 2.5". Can someone please explain to me what I will need to replace when, and if i get the superlift?


I too am new to the lifting your WK scene and I've done a lot of research on this.

The Superlift 4" kit does supply hardware to do the lift and retain stock height driveline angles, and software to reprogram the stability software.

The RRO 2.5 lift is a 2" lift and the .5" is the front leveling. Some folks do change the CV style drive shaft to a typical JK,CJ,TJ,YJ front yoke for better angles when lifting.

I would recommend to change your shocks when you lift it because the stock shocks are not set up for the additional travel of the wheel due to the lift. I, along with several folks here did the Bilstein5100 upgrade.

Of course, look around at some of the build threads....get some ideas.

All of the folks here are willing to share their experiences.

GC10LTD 11-26-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_IAH (Post 936427)
I too am new to the lifting your WK scene and I've done a lot of research on this. The Superlift 4" kit does supply hardware to do the lift and retain stock height driveline angles, and software to reprogram the stability software. The RRO 2.5 lift is a 2" lift and the .5" is the front leveling. Some folks do change the CV style drive shaft to a typical JK,CJ,TJ,YJ front yoke for better angles when lifting. I would recommend to change your shocks when you lift it because the stock shocks are not set up for the additional travel of the wheel due to the lift. I, along with several folks here did the Bilstein5100 upgrade. Of course, look around at some of the build threads....get some ideas. All of the folks here are willing to share their experiences.

If I do go with the RRO lift, and decide to upgrade my shocks at the same time I get the lift, would you suggest going with the adjustable shocks that you can get with the RRO lift? I'm unsure of what kind they are but RRO offers them as an option along with the lift.

Also....how about sway bars and track bars? Will they be affected at all by the RRO? Will I need to upgrade them as well?

I apologize for all the questions, I'm very new the the lifting stuff if you know what I mean.

Chris_IAH 11-26-2013 02:23 PM

Re: Superlift or RRO?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GC10LTD (Post 936441)
If I do go with the RRO lift, and decide to upgrade my shocks at the same time I get the lift, would you suggest going with the adjustable shocks that you can get with the RRO lift? I'm unsure of what kind they are but RRO offers them as an option along with the lift.

Also....how about sway bars and track bars? Will they be affected at all by the RRO? Will I need to upgrade them as well?

I apologize for all the questions, I'm very new the the lifting stuff if you know what I mean.

No worries bro !

If your budget allows, I would get the adjustable Rancho's that RRO offers. I'm all about one stop shopping :lol:. Your track bar and swaybar are not affected by the RRO lift.

GC10LTD 11-26-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_IAH (Post 936446)
No worries bro ! If your budget allows, I would get the adjustable Rancho's that RRO offers. I'm all about one stop shopping :lol:. Your track bar and swaybar are not affected by the RRO lift.

I'm still learning what all if my suspension components are and what function they serve so thanks for understanding. I just need to go read about everything, from my shocks and coil springs to my Upper Control arms.

If I go with the RRO lift and go up to 265/70/17 tires, will wheel spacers be necessary?

Chris_IAH 11-26-2013 04:56 PM

Re: Superlift or RRO?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GC10LTD (Post 936457)
I'm still learning what all if my suspension components are and what function they serve so thanks for understanding. I just need to go read about everything, from my shocks and coil springs to my Upper Control arms.

If I go with the RRO lift and go up to 265/70/17 tires, will wheel spacers be necessary?


Some of the folks here do use wheel spacers AND do the pinch weld mod or get rims with more back spacing and the pinch weld mod to fit a 265 tire. Oh, also with a 70 series tire, keep in mind the bolt that comes down from the upper control arm....it may rub against the sidewall.

Search the forums for the info on the pinch weld mod. I'm still debating if I will go spacers or more back spacing.

WK2009AN 11-26-2013 09:45 PM

Re: Superlift or RRO?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GC10LTD (Post 936457)
I'm still learning what all if my suspension components are and what function they serve so thanks for understanding. I just need to go read about everything, from my shocks and coil springs to my Upper Control arms.

If I go with the RRO lift and go up to 265/70/17 tires, will wheel spacers be necessary?

I got a 3" ome lift with 265/70/17's and 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers with pinch weld mod and I still suffer slight rubbing when pulling a u turn, I wouldn't even attempt to roll with out spacers, if you do, go with the spidertrax, best and safest around.

WK2009AN 11-26-2013 09:47 PM

Re: Superlift or RRO?
 
Forgot to memtion, I'm rolling on the stock rims

KSomes 12-08-2013 07:54 PM

Re: Superlift or RRO?
 
I'm just going to jump in here and give my two cents and hopefully help!

First of all, the SL is a completely different option than the RRO lift. Either way you go, the UCA's will have to be replaced at one point or another. Aside from that, the price difference is a difference in the thousands, so if you're willing to dish out the cash, the SL is a great option. I personally started out with the RRO spacer lift and have had no issues or complaints. The RRO lift intall will also be quite easier than the SL. When it comes to the adjustable Rancho shocks, I would skip that and go for Bilstein adjustable shocks as the valving is usually done a little better.

Another popular option, one that I am starting, is the modified Old Man Emu lift. This includes Old Man Emu lift springs front and back, adjustable Bilstein 5100 shocks up front, and matching shocks for the back. If you want links to any of these, let me know.

Good luck!

GC10LTD 12-09-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSomes (Post 942420)
I'm just going to jump in here and give my two cents and hopefully help! First of all, the SL is a completely different option than the RRO lift. Either way you go, the UCA's will have to be replaced at one point or another. Aside from that, the price difference is a difference in the thousands, so if you're willing to dish out the cash, the SL is a great option. I personally started out with the RRO spacer lift and have had no issues or complaints. The RRO lift intall will also be quite easier than the SL. When it comes to the adjustable Rancho shocks, I would skip that and go for Bilstein adjustable shocks as the valving is usually done a little better. Another popular option, one that I am starting, is the modified Old Man Emu lift. This includes Old Man Emu lift springs front and back, adjustable Bilstein 5100 shocks up front, and matching shocks for the back. If you want links to any of these, let me know. Good luck!

Hey man! Thanks for the info! And considering I'm totally new to working on my jeep as a whole, I've decided to pass on the SL. It's too much for right now and not to mention I would have to get new tires and wheels with the lift and that's another $2000. I've seen lots of OME MD and HD lifts but I've heard they're quite expensive too. So what do you suggest if I go with the OME lift? Should I go with the Medium duty or Heavy duty? And as far as lift height? What do you suggest? What kind if shocks? Strut assembly's? UCA's?

I only have the 3.7L V6 so I don't want to run anything bigger than a 33" tire. Would I need wheel spacers?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm totally new to working on cars in general, especially my jeep. Thanks for all the info!

WK2009AN 12-09-2013 07:05 PM

Re: Superlift or RRO?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GC10LTD (Post 942881)
Hey man! Thanks for the info! And considering I'm totally new to working on my jeep as a whole, I've decided to pass on the SL. It's too much for right now and not to mention I would have to get new tires and wheels with the lift and that's another $2000. I've seen lots of OME MD and HD lifts but I've heard they're quite expensive too. So what do you suggest if I go with the OME lift? Should I go with the Medium duty or Heavy duty? And as far as lift height? What do you suggest? What kind if shocks? Strut assembly's? UCA's?

I only have the 3.7L V6 so I don't want to run anything bigger than a 33" tire. Would I need wheel spacers?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm totally new to working on cars in general, especially my jeep. Thanks for all the info!

Like you, I was new to it and knew very little, but I went with the ome heavy duty, bought the whole kit, shocks and struts, turned out pretty good, really put her up there, going on 3 months now, no problems other than some slight rubbing from my 265's at full lock, might have to knock back my pinch weld some more, as for the Uca's I left stockies in most people do the same spend the few hundred extra for the ome, it will save you in the long run, spacer lifts can cause excessive wear on a lot of parts, the ome can too but it's well worth the money.

GC10LTD 12-09-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WK2009AN (Post 942897)
Like you, I was new to it and knew very little, but I went with the ome heavy duty, bought the whole kit, shocks and struts, turned out pretty good, really put her up there, going on 3 months now, no problems other than some slight rubbing from my 265's at full lock, might have to knock back my pinch weld some more, as for the Uca's I left stockies in most people do the same spend the few hundred extra for the ome, it will save you in the long run, spacer lifts can cause excessive wear on a lot of parts, the ome can too but it's well worth the money.

What kind of excessive wear am I looking at? As far as parts go? Does the OME lift come with hardware to maintain the stick driveline angles so there isn't any increased stress on the u joints?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community