Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Headlight calibration (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/headlight-calibration-67942.html)

tygate 11-14-2013 11:19 AM

Headlight calibration

I have seen some mention of a procedure the dealerships can perform electronically that will help with the auto level feature on the headlights. I am getting flashed frequently as it sits now. I know the auto level feature is working because I can see the headlights move up and down at start up. I just wanted a better understanding of what the dealership can do so when I take it in they don't think I just want them to crank the headlights down with the adjustment screws.

Thanks!

2014_SRT_Steel 11-17-2013 04:34 AM

Re: Headlight calibration

I'm also experiencing the EXACT same "issue" as you. This is actually very dangerous as oncoming vehicles are getting blinded by our HID lights. I'm concerned as well and going to call my dealership Monday morning to see if they will "manually" adjust the front headlights down a bit. When I got pulled over , the officer told me to turn off my high beams, I then turned on my high beams and he was baffled - I was lighting up the sky at that point and he said he would write a report out that I could take to the dealer; to advise them they are at an improper height and a hazard to state traffic laws!

Scottina06 11-17-2013 10:32 AM

just use the adjustment screw on the top of each lamp. Pull up to a garage door so you can clearly see the beam cutoff. Then you can easily adjust the beam down just slightly and see how that goes.

xJoshxx 11-17-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 931623)
just use the adjustment screw on the top of each lamp. Pull up to a garage door so you can clearly see the beam cutoff. Then you can easily adjust the beam down just slightly and see how that goes.

Make sure your about 20 to 25 feet back and it's level out!

CLStech 11-17-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 931623)

Easy peasy, made the adjustment this afternoon.
I'll see if it needs to come up or down more after testing this week.:thumbsup:

Scottina06 11-17-2013 11:38 PM

doesn't matter if your level or a certain distance away from the door/building. Just so you can see the beam adjust up/down

tygate 11-19-2013 11:27 AM

Yep, very easy to adjust. I turned them down about an inch and a half. Much better, and the brights are still very..... well, bright.

MotorCityDriver 11-19-2013 04:04 PM

For reference when making adjustments could posters tell which way they turned adjustment screw and how may turns. Thanks in advance for your help.

lillyjas 11-19-2013 07:14 PM

I can't remember the direction - I am pretty certain I turned them 'down' or to the right...

As for number of turns = a lot more than you would think... I cranked on it until it finally moved lower... (granted I had lower springs on mine which really whacked out the autoleveling for some reason).

RN SHRRK 11-19-2013 08:51 PM

Where is this adjustment screw? I've been looking for one. I must be blind.

RN SHRRK 11-19-2013 09:30 PM

Nevermind. Found it.

CLStech 11-19-2013 11:14 PM

I used an eight inch Phillips screwdriver.

Counter clockwise cranked them down. I actually went down about 1.5 turns. I tested the level tonight and I think I'm good. The cutoff lands right on the trunk line of sedans. Before the adjustment I felt like it was almost to their rear view mirror!