Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/)
-   -   power steering pump allen bolt 4.7l (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/power-steering-pump-allen-bolt-4-7l-67949.html)

edkyle 11-14-2013 01:55 PM

power steering pump allen bolt 4.7l

I went to take off the PS pump today and since the bolts were behind the pully, I attempted to remove the allen bolt to remove pully by holding the pully with a wrench thru the spokes...well, you know what happened right? The pully disentigrated and I still have a hub and the allen bolt went nowhere. Noone mentions this allen bolt in their posts, so what gives here?

Frango100 11-14-2013 03:46 PM

Re: power steering pump allen bolt 4.7l

I would look around very well to find the allen bolt, because when it gets stuck at the wrong place, it can easily cause a lot more damage when starting the engine.
Are you going to replace the power steering pump? The pulley was not ment to be reused after removal, so you probably needed a new one already.

edkyle 11-14-2013 04:57 PM

The allen bolt is still in the ps pump shaft. Even after breaking the pully and chucking the hub in a vise, I can't get the allen bolt out with an impact gun. All utube instructions for removing the pully just use a puller to remove it; so, what is the allen doing there if not holding the pully on? NEVER MIND, the allen head is in the shaft. It's not a bolt at all. DUH

Frango100 11-15-2013 07:49 AM

I see now what you mean, yes, the allen head is part of the pump drive shaft and is only there to hold the shaft still.
The pulley is a press fit construction.
Are you going to put a new pump on?

edkyle 11-15-2013 09:36 AM

Yeah, now I need a new pump and pully. I have the pully coming and just made an offer on the pump(ebay). Can I draw the pully onto the pump with an M8-1.0 bolt?

Frango100 11-15-2013 11:57 AM

If that is the thread in the driveshaft yes. You install the pulley flush with the shaft and then test it on the engine. If the belt is making a noise, then you will have to pull the pulley 0.5 mm off and test again. When still making noise, you have to push it 1.0mm on again.

edkyle 11-15-2013 12:00 PM

Noise as in depth being wrong? How does it stay on there? Is it a tapered press fit?

edkyle 11-15-2013 12:05 PM

Oh, while I have your attention, what's with the wet passenger floor? I heard something to the effect that there is a water vent between the floor and firewall panels that doesn't vent outside...thus the build up. They said the fix was to drill a hole in the engine compartment (since I'll have the engine out of the car).
:mad:

Frango100 11-15-2013 03:41 PM

Yes, noise due to the pulley not in line with the others. The pulley is just press to fit.
Wet floor can be several things: there is a drain going through the bulkhead into the engine compartment which drains the condensation water from the AC system. This drain can get clogged and then the water drains inside the cabin. You can see the drain tube sticking through the bulkhead on the passengers side. Its a short tube of around 2 cm. With engine out its even easier to see.
If this is not the problem, then you could have a leaking heater core.
Some people even had some water ingress via the antenna cable. The seal was not working properly and water could just follow the antenna wire and drip on the carpet.