Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Infinity Kappa 32.9cf for Centre Dash Replacement (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/infinity-kappa-32-9cf-for-centre-dash-replacement-67960.html)

exlr8 11-15-2013 02:43 AM

Infinity Kappa 32.9cf for Centre Dash Replacement

I was looking at using one of the Infinity Kappa 32.9cf speakers to replace the centre dash speaker in the Alpine system. The only issue I have is it extends approx 14mm above the mounting point and I am not sure if it will fit under the stock grille and the connector needs to hide somewhere as well.

As the only way I can source one in Aust is to buy online, has anyone else checked this speaker for fit?

If it won't fit I will go for one of the Infinity Reference Series (which is only 2mm lower).

Thanks!

exlr8 11-15-2013 10:50 PM

Re: Infinity Kappa 32.9cf for Centre Dash Replacement

I pulled out the factory 3.5" dash speaker today and found that the Kappa speaker height should not be a problem but finding space for the crossover is most likely going to be the issue. There looks to be a little room to the left of the speaker but I don't know it is enough for the crossover that appears to be about 3" long.

Let me know if you have had any success otherwise with this speaker...

Thanks

kkreit01 11-15-2013 11:10 PM

Even if it does fit, you'll want to add some additional room to wrap it in closed cell foam, or something? Otherwise, the crossover could be rattling around in your dash -- unless you tape it down tight. Can you source the Infinity Reference 3.5? I'd honestly pick that one over the Kappa. I'm not a fan of Kappa speakers. Their tweets are too harsh for my taste. It's been a few years since I've heard them though.

exlr8 11-16-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 931056)
Even if it does fit, you'll want to add some additional room to wrap it in closed cell foam, or something? Otherwise, the crossover could be rattling around in your dash -- unless you tape it down tight. Can you source the Infinity Reference 3.5? I'd honestly pick that one over the Kappa. I'm not a fan of Kappa speakers. Their tweets are too harsh for my taste. It's been a few years since I've heard them though.

Thanks for the advice kkreit01. I am a little concerned they may be too bright but I did have similar JBL GTO's in an old car a few years back and really liked the clarity. Being virtually a new car I thought I would go for similar but better to suit the stock system.
I'll still have to source the Ref offshore but my only confusion then is I note there are two types of ref, 3002cfx and 3032cf. I just want ot make sure they are best suited to some Infinity 6.5" splits for the doors.

voyagerx 11-18-2013 10:30 PM

I had them in at one time and made the crossover fit. In the speaker cavity toward the back of the vehicle and the drivers side door, there is a space that goes back that I shoved it in. I wrapped it in thin felt tape and no issues with rattling between the tape and the tight fit when pushed in the little space.

I ultimately removed it because it wasn't well matched to my other speakers, but it fits with no customization needed.

exlr8 11-19-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyagerx (Post 932390)
I had them in at one time and made the crossover fit. In the speaker cavity toward the back of the vehicle and the drivers side door, there is a space that goes back that I shoved it in. I wrapped it in thin felt tape and no issues with rattling between the tape and the tight fit when pushed in the little space.

I ultimately removed it because it wasn't well matched to my other speakers, but it fits with no customization needed.

Thanks voyagerx. Can I ask what the other speakers were?