Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   leather seats waranty claim (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/leather-seats-waranty-claim-67968.html)

damien79 11-15-2013 09:51 AM

leather seats waranty claim

2 Attachment(s)
Ive only had my jeep for one year and in total the jeep has 545 hrs on engine run time. These cracks on the seats worry me. I did put a special leather treatment and still it ain't looking better. Here is a pic, what should I do.

Attachment 31928

Attachment 31929

Prestone 11-15-2013 10:36 AM

I have seen people on here get their seats warrantied. Although I'm almost posisitve the manual states do not use any leather treatment products, becuase it's a sealed leather.

emok 11-15-2013 11:10 PM

they do push the warantees dont they. They got warantes for drivetrain, bumper to bumper and appearance. I fugure they must make money on the warantesss so i put money in a money market account i hope

NavyDoc 11-16-2013 09:06 AM

Re: leather seats waranty claim

I have a new 2014 and mine already are starting to look like that on the door side of the drivers seat.

xJoshxx 11-16-2013 10:07 AM

Let know how that goes mine has 900hrs on the motor and same thing is happenign

AAAA 11-16-2013 01:54 PM

I dunno guys. It is leather.

damien79 11-16-2013 09:48 PM

For a 50+ thousand dollar vehicle you dont want to see the seats wearing off like that in the first year. Give me the impression if being cheap

wasupdu 11-16-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damien79 (Post 931458)
For a 50+ thousand dollar vehicle you dont want to see the seats wearing off like that in the first year. Give me the impression if being cheap

I agree that this shouldn't happen in a perfect world, but it's all about how you care for the leather and the side bolsters. There's some very detailed write-ups on how to take care of leather seats (and bolsters) on Autogeek's website if you're really interested, but this will happen to leather if not taken care of appropriately.

FWIW, I'm taking delivery of a '14 Summit on Monday and I'm replacing a '07 Mercedes CLS63 AMG that was just totaled out by the insurance company. After a few months in the CLS63 I saw wear in the side bolster from getting in and out of the vehicle, but I rarely did much to take care of the seats and this was just over $110k MSRP.

There are different grades of leather, but they all need to be taken care of a specific way.

Dan JGC 11-17-2013 12:17 AM

Do you slide in and never are fully centered in the seat so that you are partially seated on the outside of the seat? Are you a big person? Not trying to "blame" you, just trying to figure out why this wear appeared so quickly...as it appears more of crushing of the bolster.

I had noticed on my old WK that the outside bolster had signs of wear but the inside bolster didn't. So on my WK2 I make sure I am seated in the center instead of maybe just a bit off center toward the outside. Just my 2 cents...

WATacoRider 11-17-2013 12:42 AM

I don't think those are considered "cracks". Looks like just normal wear.

Temerarius 11-17-2013 03:11 AM

Number of hours on the engine, or even miles on the clock mean nothing.

What causes wear on the seating is you getting in and out (rubbing/squishing/crushing the bolsters) and shifting around in the seats (your weight will have a more pronounced impact here if you are heavy, as you are stretching the leather and the seams).

That being said, what I saw in those pics looks pretty normal to me for leather wear (I don't see any chaffing or such, just creasing) in an SUV/Truck.

The higher up you are from the ground, the more you swing out and crush the bolster. You won't see this type of wear as fast in a saloon/sedan/coupe, but you will see it in a SUV/Truck.

Most likely, you WILL have to replace that bolster (we all will). However, it will age a great deal better than vinyl (which will crack very rapidly).

BuckeyeSRT 11-17-2013 07:50 AM

I had my driver side replaced. Mine flaked badly.