Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   DEF Level at Delivery (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/def-level-at-delivery-67998.html)

acilate 11-16-2013 03:08 AM

DEF Level at Delivery

According to the tips card included with my EcoDiesel:

"Your vehicle has been delivered to you with a full tank of DEF"

I might take this back to the dealer and ask him to fill it up after all.

Route 66 11-16-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acilate (Post 931116)
According to the tips card included with my EcoDiesel: "Your vehicle has been delivered to you with a full tank of DEF" I might take this back to the dealer and ask him to fill it up after all.

My dealer filled it right away when I showed him it wasn't full. He apologized for it not being full and agreed it should have been done as part of the PDI process.

rubberjeep 11-16-2013 11:22 AM

Re: DEF Level at Delivery

Is any DEF Fluid good enough or are there certain brands/blends that are compatible and others arent?

acilate 11-16-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberjeep (Post 931211)
Is any DEF Fluid good enough or are there certain brands/blends that are compatible and others arent?

Chrysler recommends DEF that is ISO 22241 certified by the API. They claim anything else could damage the system.

rubberjeep 11-16-2013 06:23 PM

I was at like 1/4 DEF Tank. Went down to pepboys and bought (2) 2.5 gallon BlueDEF tanks. Honestly didn't even know how to check and at $15.00 each didn't warrant my time to go back down to the dealer when it only cost me $30 and 2 minutes to do myself.

One neat thing was I thought I would need a funnel if you get the BlueDEF it has a nice little nozzle with it so you can pick it up and fill it up at the store without needing to go home for something like a funnel. I thought that was neat, but hey i'm pretty simple.

I was actually pretty surprised didn't know how big the tank was never looked it up. Initially bought one filled it in the parking lot and was amazed at how much it took and it took the second one as well. Meter is now full.

acilate 11-16-2013 07:38 PM

Yeah, I almost went to the store and did that today, but honestly is the principal of the matter - if they should be filling the DEF tanks on delivery, someone needs to speak up and tell Chrysler the dealer isn't fulfilling this responsibility.

Jarek0423 11-16-2013 08:59 PM

Mine was below half full at delivery as well. I asked the dealer to fill it up but turned out they have no DEF fluid on hand... Serves me right for being the first diesel in NYC...

They ordered it on the spot and will fill me up when they receive the fluid.

gieseja 11-17-2013 09:16 AM

THere is a pilot flying j truckstop about 10 min from my house. They have DEF pumps.

Owen.H 11-17-2013 09:41 AM

I have a half a tank. Dealer mentioned it to me that they had to order more. Thy will top it off this week.

acilate 11-17-2013 03:06 PM

I filed a complaint with Chrysler. They gave me a long winded answer which amounts to:

Although we suggest in the materials that come with your Jeep that the DEF tank would be full, we do not fill it, and it is your responsibility to negotiate with the dealer to include it in the purchase price, or as a courtesy.

I responded with a few choice words about their misrepresentation of their product. Looks like I'm heading to the auto parts store to pickup some DEF. Not worth the gas to go find a Flying J.

acilate 11-17-2013 07:39 PM

$30 bucks and 5 gallons later, my previously 1/3rd full DEF tank is sitting happy at 100%. At least they filled it just right so you don't have any left over from 2x 2.5gallon DEF containers.

acilate 11-18-2013 04:50 PM

Update: My salesman called me today in response to the missing "trail rated" badge on my GC. He mentioned "I had an issue with the DEF" and I told him I registered a complaint to Chrysler that their documentation says the truck is delivered with a full tank of DEF, and that their response was they do not fill it.

He has now offered to fill my (now full) DEF tank, and is calling Chrysler to insist that they either update their documentation to not state the truck is delivered with a full tank of DEF, or provide dealers with the DEF needed to fill the EcoDiesels before delivery.

Good on him.