Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Text messaging on Android phone (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/text-messaging-on-android-phone-68018.html)

Jarek0423 11-16-2013 07:20 PM

Text messaging on Android phone

I tried looking through the forums but can't seem to find an answer how to make text receiving work with my android phone (Samsung Note 3). I have a 2014 Summit (RA4).

I paired my phone via bluetooth and everything works except for text messages. The button "messages" is grayed out and when I get a text it does't show up on the radio nor is it read out loud by the system.

Do I have to register with Uconnect to enable this? I haven't yet - just picked the car up.

Any advise how to set it up on an Android phone is appreciated...

Thanks

scott3r 11-17-2013 09:58 AM

Re: Text messaging on Android phone

What kind of phone? I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and incoming text work, Uconnect reads them to me.

Scottina06 11-17-2013 10:14 AM

do u have the newest update?

kohj1978 11-20-2013 08:04 AM

I have an HTC One X Plus and it works but it takes awhile for it to do so, after the phone is connected about 10 -15 mions later it will work sometimes sooner, somtimes longer but it does get around to working.

Jarek0423 11-20-2013 01:21 PM

I'm on the latest software (13.38). I unpaired then re-paired the phone again and messaging works now. Two questions:

- Is it supposed to read incoming messages out loud automatically? They show on the list and I can touch to have them read but I'm not sure if it reads them automatically when they come in

- I noticed that messages with multiple recipients are not supported, they don't show up at all. Is this because android treats them as MMS and these are not supported by uconnect?

SlipperyPete 11-20-2013 06:36 PM

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread. My messaging wasn't working until I seen this, stopped bluetooth on my phone and restarted it. It asked if I wanted to connect messaging and once I said yes, well about 4 minutes later, it was working.

Jarek0423 11-21-2013 09:13 AM

I explored this further last night. I now managed to get everything to work, including notification of incoming message on the screen and uconnect reading them to me (it was not working before - I would get no notification of incoming text message).

I had to delete all text messages from my Note 3 and then re-pair the phone with uconnect. Everything is working now as advertised:
- I get a notification of incoming text messages and can choose to have them read to me
- I can use VR to compose and send text messages

The only thing that's not working is messages with multiple recepients - they dont' show up at all in my messages list in uconnect. I belive it's because android does not support them natively and converts them to MMS format, which doesnt work with bluetooth and/or uconnect

Tuffy 01-11-2014 12:57 PM

Is there a minimum version that is required for this to work? My phone was paired and unpaired several times back in the Spring of 2013, but texts never worked. Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Verizon. Any reason to think that re-pairing it yet again would make any differeence?

(should note that this is in a 2013 Overland)

Tybalt39 02-03-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuffy (Post 958147)
Is there a minimum version that is required for this to work? My phone was paired and unpaired several times back in the Spring of 2013, but texts never worked. Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Verizon. Any reason to think that re-pairing it yet again would make any difference?

(should note that this is in a 2013 Overland)

Text doesn't work with the 730 radios (2011-2013 Overland). Only started working with the 2014, and (of all things) the "lower" model 420 from 2011-2013 after a firmware update last year.

lawduck 02-10-2014 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarek0423 (Post 933606)
I explored this further last night. I now managed to get everything to work, including notification of incoming message on the screen and uconnect reading them to me (it was not working before - I would get no notification of incoming text message).

I had to delete all text messages from my Note 3 and then re-pair the phone with uconnect. Everything is working now as advertised:
- I get a notification of incoming text messages and can choose to have them read to me
- I can use VR to compose and send text messages

The only thing that's not working is messages with multiple recepients - they dont' show up at all in my messages list in uconnect. I belive it's because android does not support them natively and converts them to MMS format, which doesnt work with bluetooth and/or uconnect

So, to confirm, you have a Galaxy Note 3 and are able to use VR to compose messages? I can get it to read texts, but not compose.

BobsWK2 02-10-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawduck (Post 973273)
So, to confirm, you have a Galaxy Note 3 and are able to use VR to compose messages? I can get it to read texts, but not compose.

I have a Galaxy Note 3 and can use VR to compose text messages. I think the Note 3 has one of THE best VR systems going.

Andoskyy 02-10-2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 973735)

I have a Galaxy Note 3 and can use VR to compose text messages. I think the Note 3 has one of THE best VR systems going.

When you compose a text message via VR, aren't you using Uconnect?

When you renew your subscription, one of the bullets is VR text response.

I may be wrong...